Clutch plate fitting

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theclash230

Reaction score
Hi, I?ve bought a new clutch from BMW but can?t find a guide anywhere as to what order the clutch plates go in. I?ve tried to follow a video on YouTube but it?s hard to see the order in which is put the plates and I?m not too sure what the coloured tabs mean. I can?t see any difference between the plates but I?ve started with a black painted disc, followed by pink, then the rest purple and the final one black again. It?s not yet fully assembled until I can confirm this is correct or incorrect. Any help in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Also, keeping them in the painted order shows some tabs with a groove and some flat in line with each other. Does anyone know the reason for this?

The old clutch was destroyed when I got the bike, I can?t use it as a reference as it?s already been removed.

what you've done is right,just make sure the shim/bands go inside the pink friction plate.when putting back into basket,it's black 1st,then pink,all purples,then finish with the last black plate (as in last plate on he outside of the pack)

Service manual

screen11.jpg

Thanks for those instructions, that?s a great help. I placed them in my bike in this order watching the video posted above but just couldn?t see the proper order of the purple plates. It looks like I?ve done it wrong but now I think I know what to do. Here?s a link to a picture of mine. I?m guessing the purple disc with the flat tab is number 7 in your instruction manual and the purple ones with the grooves can go in any order?

https://ibb.co/Rbp5rHq

Thanks for those instructions, that?s a great help. I placed them in my bike in this order watching the video posted above but just couldn?t see the proper order of the purple plates. It looks like I?ve done it wrong but now I think I know what to do. Here?s a link to a picture of mine. I?m guessing the purple disc with the flat tab is number 7 in your instruction manual and the purple ones with the grooves can go in any order?

https://ibb.co/Rbp5rHq

number 7 in the image is the pink 1,it's larger diameter to allow the 2 release springs to sit inside it.

Back