Gen 4 Recall on Cylinder Heads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's not regarded as a recall, it wont be on the recall list as it's not regarded as 'critical'. If your subject to the dodgy batch you would be contacted direct. I was told it was premature coating wear, not something that will go bang .....

BMW Recall Lookup

The BMW recall lookup website is ok. It?s useful as it gives you the technical campaign codes for any work that needs to be done be it a full recall or just a ?technical enhancement?.

From the conversation that I just had with my BMW dealership they just said that there was an issue with the titanium valve surface coating. This in turn could lead to potential premature wearing of the valve guides and the engine could possibly burn more oil. The solution being provided by BMW is to replace the cylinder head which involves removing the engine from the frame. They didn?t offer any further information nor were they able to confirm if there was any subsequent running-in period required after the engine work was completed. They did however state that Owner?s who were affected would be contacted directly.

Mines affected registered July 2020
Where do I stand with refusing the bike only had it 1 week??

Just rang dealership where I bought it ......as normal dealer bullshit.......basically its not engine out jobbie just replace cylinder head all comes as one unit?? Or more dealer talking crap?? And no run in after they reckon? So I suppose I have to have it done.....its put a damper on the bike i must admit

Just rang dealership where I bought it ......as normal dealer bullshit.......basically its not engine out jobbie just replace cylinder head all comes as one unit?? Or more dealer talking crap?? And no run in after they reckon? So I suppose I have to have it done.....its put a damper on the bike i must admit

From what I've gathered reading this thread it doesnt seem like an urgent job at all, Just ride as you ride and when you're due in get the fix, Doesn't sound dangerous or going to harm bike in anyway really

Exactly. Manufacturers issue recalls on stuff all the time, unless it is a safety issue it isn?t worth getting upset about. Just have it done when the bike is next due in, think of it as a free upgrade lol.

my bikes affected march 20 ,its getting the new head done at the same time as the service, as RYS1000RR said its something to do with the valve guides,its only the head being replaced,not shift cam,

I popped into my dealer today and was told my bike has to have the head changed. Bought in June 2020. Gutted that a new bike has to be stripped. Just checked on the BMW checker and got this code 0011460000 I assume that?s the head change then ? Or is it something else. I Haven?t been contacted by BMW about it yet though. Already had persistent oil leaked looked at ( new pump ) I need to check the forks next. Just in case ! And I thought my old ducati was unreliable ! Had three Yamaha and two Honda that never missed a beat ! Ahrrrr not happy ?

The code you list is the abrasion protection for wiring - simple cover over wires to provide protection from the fairing rubbing - quick fix and no urgency

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

Okay cool thanks for the reply. I?ll mention it to the dealer next. Cheers

There was a post on the US site the other day about a head change, and possible recall.. valve guides if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Ryan, i tried using the ?look up?, but, i dont see the ?tool?, is there something im not doing properly.

I accepted the ?cookies?, there is a gap then question, presuming something should be in gap

So is the code 0011460000 The Converting Abrasion Protection for Wiring Harness or is it 00061440000 as RyS1000RR has suggested ? Thanks

BMW Recall Lookup

Ryan, i tried using the ?look up?, but, i dont see the ?tool?, is there something im not doing properly. I accepted the ?cookies?, there is a gap then question, presuming something should be in gap

It should be in the centre of the page. You can search by using either your VIN or VRN. If it doesn?t appear just try refreshing the page. It?s worth noting that it will only present the codes and not the descriptions.

Gen 4 Recall Codes

So is the code 0011460000 The Converting Abrasion Protection for Wiring Harness or is it 00061440000 as RyS1000RR has suggested ? Thanks

The code for the wiring abrasion protection is 00061440000. I?ve just had mine done along with having a replacement oil/coolant pump fitted (00011440000). Those are the only two codes that I have BMW supplied descriptions for, as that?s the only work that my RR needed to have done.

Ok cheers, so there might be some confusion what code has come up for mine 0011460000 ?

Gen 4 Recall Code

If in doubt just call your BMW dealer and give them the code along with your VIN or VRN. They will be able to tell you exactly what it is and give you the technical campaign code description. My dealer sent me a screenshot of mine showing me exactly what they were.

Back