Gen 4 Recall on Cylinder Heads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your Gen 4 does require the cylinder head replacement I really wouldn?t worry about it. Ultimately, BMW are going to cover the full cost of any parts and labour.

My bike is booked in for Friday for a service and the recall on the cables being trapped issue, I just called them this am as my front brake seems to stick slightly at low speeds so I asked them to look at that as well. They've now informed me that it is also in need of the cylinder head replacement. Only issue I've got is that if I hadn't of called id never have known, they are now providing me with a courtesy bike. Good job I called as its a 80 mile round trip and I wouldn't of been happy to of been told this on the day.

Afternoon all,

Ive had a text over ringing BM for a re-call. Booked in for last weekend of March for a week.

As mentioned above its the coating on the valves wearing off prematurely. The cylinder head is also being replaced as a pre-caution.
It's not a 'do not ride the bike' notice however I've been told it's preferred if done sooner.

The recall is for earlier production models as a batch from the supplier - depending on how long yours has been stood of course. Mine needs the recall and it's a 70 plate.

Mine is a 20 plate. It doesn't bother me at all all that bothers me is lack of communication from dealer. I work in the motor manufacturing industry so know all about recalls. Its much better like this than we have a failure after warranty runs out and we're left with a huge repair bill

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mine is a 20 plate. It doesn't bother me at all all that bothers me is lack of communication from dealer. I work in the motor manufacturing industry so know all about recalls. Its much better like this than we have a failure after warranty runs out and we're left with a huge repair bill

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Did you only find out by asking the dealer? Did it also show up on the BMW recall "checker"?

I never checked mine on the recall checker if I'm honest, the only reason I found out is like I say above that Id phoned the dealer to give them some notice that I also wanted my brakes looking at as they seem to be sticking or binding

I've had a phone call today from my supplying dealer about my bike needing the cylinder head replaced, Going in next Thursday

Well Reiten Motorrad picked up my bike today.... I presume mines one of the 1st to go in and have the cylinder head recall replaced will let you guys know how long it takes and fingers crossed it all comes back good ........the waiting begins......

How many parts like the valves would they make themselves, and do they still assemble the engines in Germany out of interest if anyone knows (Gen 4)...

Put the flags out for Pidcock BMW Aftersales! I had a call from them a week ago to let me know about the cylinder head recall. I've just had a call to say the parts are in and they will collect my bike (a 70 plate), do the work, and drop it off again, week after next. No charge for collection service - that's a great service in my book!

Great to hear......but let's be honest ours bikes shouldn't really be going in really.....its shit by bmw the Gen 4 has become a bit of a joke really "Recall after Recall.........

just a heads up my bikes gone in today for a service and the new head the dealer told me they have done 5 so far, and all of the new heads come complete,BUT ALL 5 NEEDED RESHIMMING,JUST MAKE SURE YOU ASK YOUR DEAler to check them,

just a heads up my bikes gone in today for a service and the new head the dealer told me they have done 5 so far, and all of the new heads come complete,BUT ALL 5 NEEDED RESHIMMING,JUST MAKE SURE YOU ASK YOUR DEAler to check them,

So they are coming wrong from the factory ?

Back