Gen 4 Recall on Cylinder Heads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schua2007

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a member of the FB S1000RR group and several members being contacted about Gen 4's needing to be recalled regarding cylinder heads. Anyone been contacted or know more details? Thanks

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

I heard the same this morning.
As I understand it there's concern about premature valve wear.
I don't believe it applies to all. Probably a batch issue.
BMW are replacing the whole head to reduce downtime and make sure all the parts are renewed to avoid issues down the line.

It is not *critical* so dealers will likely be sent stock and you'll have it done with your next service.

Hi, I've spoken to dealer and he confirmed it's just specific bikes so sounds like a batch as you state. They are contacting those affected. Dealer wasn't sharing details of problem.

Hi, I've spoken to dealer and he confirmed it's just specific bikes so sounds like a batch as you state. They are contacting those affected. Dealer wasn't sharing details of problem.

Was your dealer able to confirm the production year of the bikes affected?

Hi, no they didn't share. From what I've seen on the FB post it seems to be late 20 plate bikes. Mine is a 69 and not on the recall list.

Oh great .....just took delivery of my gen 4 on a July 20 plate.......interesting........should of kept my gen 3 now...........all you hear is problem after problem with the gen 4........

I had the call earlier mine needs to have it replaced. My bike was delivered March 2020. Bmw weren?t calling it a recall I can?t remember what he did say now, but basically bmw implied it needs it replaced but not recalled. Dealer said they have 7 or 8 they need to do.
They were trying to find out if the new fork fix was available yet so it could all be done at the same time. So far my bikes had every problem except the breaks (touches wood quickly lol).

Last edited:
Cotswold inform me that they are doing stock bikes first to assess the work required. They are aiming to do 2 bikes a week. Its the titanium rods and possible movement within the block. Process involves lifting frame off engine and having a new head fitted. I believe new internals aswell.

May see you there Kev

Cotswold inform me that they are doing stock bikes first to assess the work required. They are aiming to do 2 bikes a week. Its the titanium rods and possible movement within the block. Process involves lifting frame off engine and having a new head fitted. I believe new internals aswell.

May see you there Kev
Yes I?ll let you know when I?m booked in haha

May see you there Kev

If you mean the internals of the head then yeah I believe they are sending out complete units that are ready to be bolted to the block (oversimplification)

Hi guys thanks for the heads up.....I've just been on bmw motorrad recalls put in my reg number and low and behold its says "There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. So I presume its the cylinder head......wots that saying " if it's not broke don't fix it".........knew I should of kept the gen 3........oh well wot happens now? Wait to bmw to contact me

Hi guys thanks for the heads up.....I've just been on bmw motorrad recalls put in my reg number and low and behold its says "There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. So I presume its the cylinder head......wots that saying " if it's not broke don't fix it".........knew I should of kept the gen 3........oh well wot happens now? Wait to bmw to contact me
Its not critical, carry on enjoying the bike till you get a call.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

its not critical, carry on enjoying the bike till you get a call.

Sent from my sm-g965f using tapatalk
ive just checked mine on the bmw motorrad site mine needs doing,it gave me a code 0011460000,ill ring the dealer tomorrow to find out the time frame to get this done,my bikes in for a service on the 9th march,

Hi, the open technical code might be the protective sheath for the loom to stop it rubbing against fairing as opposed to cylinder head

thank god no recalls on mine or the wifes. think our production was mid 2020. i think i probably side stepped this one as i think the bike i wrote off would have needed this too. i wonder if thats why this new bike dosnt vibrate through the bars as much as the last one.

Last edited:
To date my Gen 4 has had two recalls/technical enhancements completed and so far I?ve not been contacted about the cylinder heads. The campaign codes I received using the BMW recall website are below with the official descriptions added for reference.

00011440000 - Replace Oil/Coolant Pump
00061440000 - Converting Abrasion Protection for Wiring Harness

Checked mine and I seem to have dodged this one. Mine is a late 2020 69 plate.

I have however had both of the 'Technical Enhancements' RyS1000RR has listed above.

Back