Sell as standard or with everything bolted on...?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 445

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at the old dilemma of whether to return the bike to original spec to sell it, ...or have a go for it whats it's worth 'all-in', and hope someone appreciates the bloody value of all the kit.

Anyone seen any well specc'ed gen3s go for strong money? Or are they generally back to basic?

Cheers
D

I was thinking about the same thing if I was to sell and I decided I would take the majority of my after market bits off. Then use the money to put towards the new one.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

100% OEM to trade in and sell the mods, but even private sale, unless you find the buyer who wants and is willing to pay, the bling doesn't add any value to the bike. You're always financially better off selling the bling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Depends on price of mods I think.

For me I had ohlins shock, ohlins internals in forks, BST carbon wheels which I took off when selling due to thats about ?4k in parts there.
I left the rearsets, exhaust, ASV levers on as I believe these are things MOST people want when purchasing a bike and the bits I took off are not wanted as much.
And for me I would choose a bike with an exhaust + map over a stock anyday

Last edited:
That's the trick for me, when buying I always look for a bike that has the most of what I want on it already. If I look at 2 bikes and one hasn't got it fitted, I'll cost it and work out which one is better value.

Trade in is different, the shop will give you the standard price only so you might as well take the stuff off and sell separately

That's the trick for me, when buying I always look for a bike that has the most of what I want on it already. If I look at 2 bikes and one hasn't got it fitted, I'll cost it and work out which one is better value.

Trade in is different, the shop will give you the standard price only so you might as well take the stuff off and sell separately

I've spent 6 years with this bike from new and have methodically sourced the right kit, all premium stuff and it feels almost bizarre to pul it all off - then someone come see it and say they'll have the lot and would have to put it all back on again :))

Im not trading it in, nor am i in any hurry to sell, so hopefully find someone whos keen to have some/most of it on - but value it for what it costs. I think ill set out a base price, with the option to keep/take away...

If you trade into BMW they want only BMW approved parts. If selling private your better off leaving on as long as there reputable parts.

Eg stick a 100 euro China mufflers on it, it won't be a positive to the sale. Or tacky addonised stuff

If you trade into BMW they want only BMW approved parts. If selling private your better off leaving on as long as there reputable parts.

Eg stick a 100 euro China mufflers on it, it won't be a positive to the sale. Or tacky addonised stuff
Agreed.

I do have a lot of premium kit - im hoping anyone who's done their homework, or is familiar with Gen3 will fully realise what a benefit it is to: 1) have it 2) It's all installed and set up correctly ??

When I bought my Gen 3 last year it was because of the spec. I paid a premium for it to as it wasn?t a private sale. I?m hoping it helps when and if I come to sell it on too. It will all depend on your buyer.

When I bought my Gen 3 last year it was because of the spec. I paid a premium for it to as it wasn?t a private sale. I?m hoping it helps when and if I come to sell it on too. It will all depend on your buyer.
I think the best thing to do is advertise it on FB groups first to see what interest it gets! This way informed buyers will have first crack at it before i go to ebay.

Or buy an Akropivic sticker and whack it on to the can lol...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have been debating this.
I would like to sell everything in a job lot but you're looking at ~17k. For a Gen3, road and track fairings, carbon parts, all oem parts, touring/luggage, wheels etc etc.

I mean it would be lovely if someone wanted to clear the garage out but I can't see it being that easy.

This would allow me to start fresh with a Gen4.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have been debating this.
I would like to sell everything in a job lot but you're looking at ~17k. For a Gen3, road and track fairings, carbon parts, all oem parts, touring/luggage, wheels etc etc.

I mean it would be lovely if someone wanted to clear the garage out but I can't see it being that easy.

This would allow me to start fresh with a Gen4.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hey mate, yup im thinking there's a few key items that are best left 'on the bike' - levers, rear sets, headers/end can with the PCV etc The buyer benefits from not having to source AND not having to install and set it up. I wonder if it's a good time to sell? A lot of people having tough times but also approaching spring so might be sniffing around!

Ill have to renew my subscription so i can put it on here ;)

Hope all's good with you and yrs bud! Got anything booked this year? Ive got Parcmotor and a Donny, so far.

I always strip them back its the only way to recoup a decent amount of money. Spent a fortune on my gixer for what I would of wanted for it nobody would pay it. Striped it back and made more than I thought

Last edited:
I have a mate after a gen3.
Pm me what you're leaving on and price. I'll let him know.
I warn you though, he's the tightest bloke I've ever known so don't get your hopes up. :glee:

I have a mate after a gen3.
Pm me what you're leaving on and price. I'll let him know.
I warn you though, he's the tightest bloke I've ever known so don't get your hopes up. :glee:
It's now live on FB S1RR groups - ive set price for stock and loaded - lets see who going to be the lucky owner ;)

Back