Chain link size

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2evn

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

Need to get a new 525 chain, iv got a new 17t front renthal sprocket and a 45t rear. I think I need a 118 525 link chain, but can someone confirm or deny?

Thank you

Which gen? Its either 118 or 120 depending on gen.
Its in the manual btw.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

got a mate selling some AFAM XsRing A525XHR3-G 120- links if your looking for a new chain.

?60+delivery

coming from jackson racing,can pass details on if interested

118 is OEM on the Gen2.
120 is OEM on the Gen3. They extended the wheelbase. If you have plenty of spare distance on the back of the swingarm a 120 will fit and allow you to run the rear wheel further back which would make acceleration more forwards than up!

Thats great thank you, so I assume the 17t 45t is one sprockets then on a gen 2?

Thanks for your help Alex, iv said before im hoping to go portimao in May, what gearing would would be recommended? Saves starting a new thread

16/43 118 links, this keeps the front down more which is important on a track with so much gradient. Longer wheelbase plus longer geared. Really uses the torque of the engine. You'll be in 2nd-4th most corners you'll barely need 6th saving gear changes/effort.

I believe if you check on www.gearingcommander.com you'll see 17/45 is very similar in terms of in gear speeds...but the rear wheel is further forward. You can probably achieve the same geometry from 17/45 w/120 links. But its a heavier setup.

I'll be on a Gen 3 but with 16/44 120links...the 44 makes it a fraction more accelerative.

16/43 118 links, this keeps the front down more which is important on a track with so much gradient. Longer wheelbase plus longer geared. Really uses the torque of the engine. You'll be in 2nd-4th most corners you'll barely need 6th saving gear changes/effort.

I believe if you check on www.gearingcommander.com you'll see 17/45 is very similar in terms of in gear speeds...but the rear wheel is further forward. You can probably achieve the same geometry from 17/45 w/120 links. But its a heavier setup.

I'll be on a Gen 3 but with 16/44 120links...the 44 makes it a fraction more accelerative.

tbf, portimao is a track you want/need 6th gear,and plenty of it when you start to get the final turn right.nothing worse then revving out on a part of the track that you gain so much time.

Portimao

tbf, portimao is a track you want/need 6th gear,and plenty of it when you start to get the final turn right.nothing worse then revving out on a part of the track that you gain so much time.

+1.

Which doesn't change the advice on using 16/43...

A bloke I was working with last week was saying the same thing, said he was bouncing of the limiter on his r1

Thanks Alex, I think im going to try this setup. Iv not fitted my sprockets yet, so might order those one and fit them ready.

Top speed Portimao.jpg Gives you an idea, Portimao, pretty sure was standard gearing. 1 down on front i think would be about 170 at those revs?

Last edited:
Which doesn't change the advice on using 16/43...

it was this bit that i was going towards, like Aragon, porto is a comprimise due to the high speed you can get on the straights (as opposed to jerez for example) and is 1 of those tracks you need to make sure you have enough gearing for the straight at the expense of "punch" imo.

I used to drag race with a 520 AFAM on an old GSX-R1100L (1186cc big bore), it lasted 20 years. The chain is actually stronger than a 525 and as long as you get a good make the rear sprocket will be okay. The only thing I've never tried is those dampened JT front sprockets, the AFAM race front sprockets tend to vibrate.

Back