Buying from the EU

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to work out why some people are being charged when ordering from EU and other's like me not being charged. One thought I had was I'm getting my orders sent to a residential address. Have anyone been charged VAT etc when sent to a home address? If it's not that, it's just a postcode lottery.

I'm trying to work out why some people are being charged when ordering from EU and other's like me not being charged. One thought I had was I'm getting my orders sent to a residential address. Have anyone been charged VAT etc when sent to a home address? If it's not that, it's just a postcode lottery.

Depends on the cost of the item/items and what it?s declared as and how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 9 deliveries from the EU with the cheapest being ?351, no charges. Even the Chinese stuff isn't being taxed now. 2 large boxes of custom sprayed fairings straight through where before you'd get taxed. Strange. Must be a postcode lottery.

I've had 9 deliveries from the EU with the cheapest being ?351, no charges. Even the Chinese stuff isn't being taxed now. 2 large boxes of custom sprayed fairings straight through where before you'd get taxed. Strange. Must be a postcode lottery.
I'm just going to use your house address as my delivery address from now on! lol

Thats bizarre, normally I get my big bits.. tyres, wheels and the like sent to my office, smaller parts to the house.. I can't see how either would make any difference... a sale is a sale unless its purchased B2B.. then that might be different.

For fear of being stung again I bought Yamaha heated grips today for my MV from FMC express down South, same parts from Ibex in Germany were a good bit cheaper, just not prepared to take the gamble of getting humped for a surcharge and the uncertainty of when do I actually get what I paid for..

When did you get all your deliveries Jamie, thats really interesting and confusing in equal measures..

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I?ve had them all since Jan 1st. One was a lathe so rather big and heavy to miss. That was a DHL delivery. Most FedEx. None of it makes sense as normally I?d expect to be stung on the big bodywork boxes from China. Personally I think the staffing levels or lack of (due to COVID) at the customs clearing warehouses may have an influence, but that?s just a guess.

Has anyone bought any booze for delivery from the EU this year? Probably not, but tI thought i'd ask....

I have found a place that still has stocks of a single malt I like, which was discontinued a couple of years ago (and can't be found online in the UK), and I want to buy a few bottles to keep me going for a few years. The place in Italy have told me that they'll knock off the Italian tax, but that I'll be liable for the UK import and excise charges. Just trying to make sure I know what this will cost.

Having read this thread I guess that unless they confuse me for JamieMac I'll have to pay VAT and maybe some kind of handling charge for starters, and according to the retailer some duty for alcohol as well.

The whisky would cost ?300 for 8 x 1L bottles, and I believe that I'll have to pay about ?90 excise (?11.50 per Litre for 40% ABV) and then I assume 20% VAT on the total.

Have I missed anything out?

Cheers

Morning chaps and ladies
has anyone had more recent experience of these? Ordered an akra slip on yesterday from PP and now being told august sept delivery? however see alpha might have have stock for immediate despatch
anyome had the extra charges on any recent deliveries?

thanks

It seems very hit and miss at the moment. In the last few months I?ve placed three alpha Racing orders with different results. The first got through customs without any delays or charges. The second I had to pay import duty even though the value of the delivery was significantly lower than the first. My current order has been held by HMRC for the last two weeks.

Back