Buying from the EU

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Anyone bought anything from an EU country after 1st January, just put a modest order in to Carpimoto and I have to pay DHL 20% on the value of my parcel, looks like I'll be het for an import duty too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

didnt they agree on trade deal? I have some shiet coming from Gilles this week

Last edited:
Dunno, but carpimotos site states 20% to DHL, they responded same via an email yesterday [emoji85]

We now have to pay 20% VAT on all imports from EU, plus some items may also have duty, carriers now adding their own fees for paperwork & customs clearance.

It's now the same as importing from the USA. I think this may be the end of easy and cheap purchases from EU online retailers.

We now have to pay 20% VAT on all imports from EU, plus some items may also have duty, carriers now adding their own fees for paperwork & customs clearance.

It's now the same as importing from the USA. I think this may be the end of easy and cheap purchases from EU online retailers.

I guess they exclude VAT when you buy online, but you pay it to the courier.

I bought some Sebimoto fairings the other day, and initially wondered why they were cheaper than the last time I looked! guess i'll have someone asking for another 20% when they're eventually made and shipped...

Alphas added the following disclaimer to just before checkout....i may look at alternative garage mats lol

If the delivery will be send to non-EU countries, it is possible that other duties, taxes or fees have to be paid by the customer - but not to the vendor, these payments must be paid to the competent delivery-country customs and tax authorities. The customer is advised to be informed before the order about the details from the competent customs and tax authorities.

Last edited:
I guess they exclude VAT when you buy online, but you pay it to the courier.
That is it I'm sure, just be careful.

BTW Carpimoto have a minimum order value of ?135.00.. I've a set of LED indicators and fitting kit sitting in my outbox till I figure out what else I don't need to increase the order by 60 quid... had those pegs I bought in the cart too but Steve from Conquest kept me right, gave me a discount and he had his in stock, so just bought them from him.

He's only working himself just now so he's dealing with all the orders on his own.

That is it I'm sure, just be careful.

BTW Carpimoto have a minimum order value of ?135.00.. I've a set of LED indicators and fitting kit sitting in my outbox till I figure out what else I don't need to increase the order by 60 quid... had those pegs I bought in the cart too but Steve from Conquest kept me right, gave me a discount and he had his in stock, so just bought them from him.

He's only working himself just now so he's dealing with all the orders on his own.

The ?135 threshold is to do with HMRC wanting the overseas supplier to collect the UK VAT on their behalf below this value and actually pay to register for the privilege.........from what I've read, a lot of companies are simply saying "orders over ?135 only" so the 3rd party courier ends up doing it...... hence their admin charge.

I'll be getting stung on stuff from alpha working out just over 20% with ups must have a handle charge aswel

Did you end up paying the full price on the Alpha site plus UK VAT / Import Duty / Admin charge or was the price reduced when you checked-out on the Alpha site?

Feck. Maybe anow we're back to bulk importers who can leverage economis of scale.

Fortis and Phil Crowe both bring in significant stock from Alpha.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Feck. Maybe anow we're back to bulk importers who can leverage economis of scale.

Fortis and Phil Crowe both bring in significant stock from Alpha.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

thats really bad for consumer, as both are lazy and charge extra fees

Did people not expect this to happen once we were no longer part of the single market?

Back