Race/track Brake Fluid

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGodfather

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My bikes due it's first annual service in a few weeks and the brake fluid is being changed as part of the service.
I believe I had putoline dot 4 put in last time but I have had brake fade occasionally. I'm supplying the fluid again so wondered if I could improve it.

Not looking at master cylinders or calipers yet, just want to put the best fluid I can in for now.

Whats are you guy's using and why ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah probably about the same I reckon, all depends who's there on the day.
Here's one for you !!
I'd never use the Ltr and would not trust using it again in another year or two in case it got moisture in it.
I don't trust myself doing a fluid change on a bike like this.
Would there be any negatives, if say after every track event I were to syringe the reservoir out 80% and top up. Surely that's gotta be good ?

I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same and its just brand loyalty.

Any thoughts on my top up question. I mean this could even be done on a 3 day event, keeping the fluid more at its optimum.

You'd be better off just bleeding out a calipers worth to freshen the caliper not the resevoir.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My thinking is the fluid gets transported around an abs system more than older brake systems. So the fluid would get mixed in, not just stationery in the reservoir. :dispirited:

Race/Track Brake Fluid

I would personally never mix different brake fluids as they do vary between brands. If your having it done as part of the service then request that they drain the entire system (calipers, reservoir, ABS pump) completely and use fresh fluid. Castrol SRF is my personal preference and I?ve never experienced brake fade when using it. Motul and Brembo are also very good and a bit cheaper.

I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same and its just brand loyalty.

Any thoughts on my top up question. I mean this could even be done on a 3 day event, keeping the fluid more at its optimum.
They are not

600 / 660 / 700 have different properties. E.g. I would only run 700 at mugello in 30C heat

Getting the wrong end of the stick here now guys lol

Im not suggesting mixing brands. Once they've been flushed and topped up Im on about doing a partial refresh as I go so to speak.

As for all the same im refering to fluids od same speck or dot rating at least.

Race/Track Brake Fluid

Depending on how many trackdays I do in a season will dictate how many times I totally flush the system. Regardless, I will change it completely before going on a Euro trackday. In the UK I generally just monitor the fluid as I go and just replace what?s in the calipers/reservoir as the season progresses. That way it just keeps the fluid fresh. You will soon know if it needs replacing as you will likely see a difference in colour between the old and new fluid as you bleed the brakes. That said Castrol SRF fluid seems to last for ages.

Back