Akra full system on Gen4 mapp needed ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONHGS1000

Reaction score
Hiya guys ,

recently purchased a gen4 and it came with a akra stubby titanium can ( cat still installed )

it?s just not as loud as I?d want it ! If I get the headers to make it a full system , will
I need to have it mapped ? And also what happens to the redundant servos ?

cheers guys

jon

Always gotta be mapped with a full system or even a decat. I know on some you get a servo plug eliminator, And on some you just leave them dangling. Defo remap needed though, I put a decat on my s1000rr before I got a full system and it ran like poopy.

I have a full system on a Gen 4 there is only 1 exhaust servo on the gen 4 and Akrapovic supply a kit that you it in the servo motor when you remove the cables to leave the motor on the bike and hot have faults. it came with my headers.

I would recommend getting the bike mapped, when the cats are removed the bike is very rough on start up and idle, i also found it a little surging when cruising on partial throttle.

I have just had mine mapped at Actiforce racing- the guy who maps Peter Hickman's bike and works on his electronics in the team and iIhave to say from the short ride i have taken before the snow, the difference is incredible, throttle response is instant non of the bmw processor bogging it, the engine is smooth and it sounds better on start up and idle

Weight reduction is the main benefit :)

Mapping is advised but not critical, the Gen4 has a wider-band O2 sensor and can cope with the changes in the most part on the open loop part of the map. Closes loop is maybe a bit lumpy.

As said you must use a servo eliminator from Healtech/Alpha etc to avoid error codes...then you can do what you like with the hardware.

it?s just not as loud as I?d want it !

I have a cordless drill you can borrow and a 6mm drill bit :)

Or you could always stick some lollypop sticks in the spokes :D

Serious note though - is there such a thing as a road-legal full de-cat system? I'd love a full system due to the ugliness of the cat, but I don't want to give the boys in blue an excuse to give me a fine (other than the usual ..)

...is there such a thing as a road-legal full de-cat system? I'd love a full system due to the ugliness of the cat, but I don't want to give the boys in blue an excuse to give me a fine (other than the usual ..)

Thought it just needed to be 'E' marked?

When I checked the government MoT website earlier this year re exhausts. My understanding is still that as long as the exhaust doesn?t have words to the effect of ?not for road use? stamped on the silencer, and it isn?t deemed ?unreasonably louder? than a standard bike, then it?s totally road legal.
There?s still absolutely no requirement for a catalytic converter in the UK, and in my experience so long as the bike has a decent sized silencer with a baffle fitted then there?s no issue with MoT?s.
What is very important, is to inform your insurance company of the legal exhaust change.

To my knowledge, the Gen 4?s fuelling is ?entirely? under closed-loop control.
An ECU remap would be a good idea to ensure the bike runs well, makes the most of your exhaust, and moreover, it?ll give you the ability to completely remove the exhaust servo, the secondary air system and air-box flapper without any ECU errors.

I've got a full akra fitted on my gen 4 and it ran ok without any mapping but I've also had mine mapped with Pete Clifford (actiforce racing) who works with the smiths BMW race team and it has transformed the bike. From cold start tickover to throttle response the difference is much smoother, also with strong power gains. I would strongly recommend getting it mapped and who better than the guy that maps Hickys race bikes.

Back