Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst biking moments

Red face Worst biking moments

Following from another thread, a thread about your worst biking moment (s)... but of fun and humour to end the year....

Me first.

After a 10 day long road trip to the Aragon GP and back a couple of years ago on a GSA, I was on my way back to the chunnel through France when one of the motorways en route was shut due to an accident. I wasn’t paying much attention to the reroute calculation of the garmin as we had been on motorways for a couple of days and I expected more of the same, and so it looked. After a while the traffic started to get heavier, but it’s ok I thought, arterial route like many French cities have, with a bit of congestion here and there, it will clear.... Then the traffic got worse, and worse. The temp was high 30s, and I was in full rukka kit, with full luggage. After around an hour of stop-start and filtering I looked up only to see the Arc de Triumph at the end of the road. Oh bugger. Another hour or so and I made it out of the carnage on to dual carriageway and on to calais. Paris, on a motorcycle, never ever again lol. Worst time ever.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Re: Worst biking moments

Was that before they started the alternate days for certain numberplates? (Maximum gridlock)

I think mine was taking my Gen2 out after the winter build. There she was pristine and primed. Turned right out of my garage left onto the main road and the brand new K3 rear spun on bus lane diesel. Bike flew out from under me. Utterly gutted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

Test weekend start of this year.

Slid out in the wet second session damaged rearsets bars and fairings on left side.

Was near the pits so rode back. Lost the front on something as I turned into the garage. Damaged right side.

Fantastic first spin of the season.
    Last edited by Corkgsxr; 27th December 2020 at 02:32 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkgsxr For This Useful Post:

Riding
    KTM Superduke GT

My worst moment was back in 1998 at Cadwell Park. Massive Highside after Mansfield, broken Shoulder Blade and Collar Bone along with Nerve damage and pain. Nice trip to Louth Hospital (dont go there) and got picked up the next day for the 180 mile journey home. Gutted about trashing my 6 month old bike which a friend kindly repaired for me. Managed to get back on the bike 4 weeks later (in extreme pain).
    On a positive, a lesson learnt about traction control !!!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:

Riding
    Nothing :(

I've had a few...Not too sure which one trumps which to be fair..

1. Crashing my RS 125 within the first week of riding into the back of a car.

2. Pulling out on my SXV 550 from my drive way to the road and slipping on corsas damaging my brand new dual arrow exhausts (First ride with them)

3. Stupidly not pulling over on my R6 which I wasn't allowed to ride at the time due to A2 license, then ringing my mum to find out police waiting at house to take bike

4. Stupidly again flipping my R6 and waiting 3 hours for an ambulance with broken ribs and vertebrae.

5. Dropping my s1000rr when on a ride with Oli in the middle of a small ford (Did get a free pair of socks though)

Good times
    Last edited by Felix; 27th December 2020 at 03:14 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post

2. Pulling out on my SXV 550 from my drive way to the road and slipping on corsas damaging my brand new dual arrow exhausts (First ride with them)

3. Stupidly not pulling over on my R6 which I wasn't allowed to ride at the time due to A2 license, then ringing my mum to find out police waiting at house to take bike

4. Stupidly again flipping my R6 and waiting 3 hours for an ambulance with broken ribs and vertebrae.

5. Dropping my s1000rr when on a ride with Oli in the middle of a small ford (Did get a free pair of socks though)

Good times
    Answers to the name ‘lucky’. Lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Kennybush's Avatar
    Riding
    SP-1, Guzzi T-3

Good times
    I've always fancied getting an sxv. Did you have it long? How many times did the engine need rebuilding when you had it? Lovely bikes and sound awesome.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennybush For This Useful Post:

Riding
    Nothing :(

Quote Originally Posted by Kennybush View Post
    I've always fancied getting an sxv. Did you have it long? How many times did the engine need rebuilding when you had it? Lovely bikes and sound awesome.
    I had 3.
    Amazing bike I really loved every single one. My first one was probably the best one. 2007, Black sealant (MUST HAVE), And was rebuilt very well by previous owner. I changed oil and oil filter every 300-500 miles.
    My second one was a 08 I believe, Very good, But sold to get a old R6, (2006). Didn't really like it as much as the SXV so sold the r6 to get a 2009 SXV. The 2009 was bought from a very trusted member of the Aprilia forum (So I thought) But it blew up on me within 500 miles. £1500 later and then selling on, Bought a 2009 R6 which I loved.
    Last edited by Felix; 27th December 2020 at 03:56 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:

this year was by far my worst accident, had a few little slips when younger but no injuries. slid off on my first Spanish track day a few years ago but walked away and even got the bike back up and running to finish the days off, but this year hit a patch of gravel a few miles from newtown powys and broke pelvis, femur, broke rib and cracked sternam. but worse than all those brakes i wrote off a perfectly nice M sport. . repair bill was over £15k. oh well new no miles bike is sat in garage ready to help me get over it...come on weater.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r25sti For This Useful Post:

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Kennybush's Avatar
    Riding
    SP-1, Guzzi T-3

I had 3.
    Amazing bike I really loved every single one. My first one was probably the best one. 2007, Black sealant (MUST HAVE), And was rebuilt very well by previous owner. I changed oil and oil filter every 300-500 miles.
    My second one was a 08 I believe, Very good, But sold to get a old R6, (2006). Didn't really like it as much as the SXV so sold the r6 to get a 2009 SXV. The 2009 was bought from a very trusted member of the Aprilia forum (So I thought) But it blew up on me within 500 miles. £1500 later and then selling on, Bought a 2009 R6 which I loved.
    I think I'll be having a browse of what's for sale tonight...