Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst biking moments

Re: Worst biking moments

11.11.2016 **shudder**

Was riding My CBR1200XX north on the North Circular A406 from the Chiswick roundabout.

Stopped at the next set of lights... all good.

Got to pole position and took off sedately .... about 300 yards up the A406 narrows from 2 lanes to 1 and there is a place for oncoming traffic to turn across your path into a side road.

As I approached this area at about 40mph an oncoming car duly lurched across my carridgeway without warning, stopping or indicating.

Wet and slippery road... no time to react... T-bone or stamp on rear brake and slide.

I took option B....

Bike went down right side and spat me off awkwardly.... bike slid around the front of car just missing front bumper but I spun around and smashed full force into the passenger door... back first.

3 broken ribs and 2 cracked vertebrae in spine...

Luckily I happened to be carrying a client's quite bulky metal chassis laptop in my backpack.... upon inspection later the battery area had been crushed to 10% of it's original thickness... think this definitely saved me much more severe spinal injuries. Also lucky the battery pack did not explode!

Car was written off

As I was lying by the roadside the (clearly myopic) car driver kept trying to hand me his own car keys as his eyesight was so poor he could not clearly see what was in his own hands let alone oncoming frigging traffic

Silver lining: I strongly suspected that ABS would have saved me ....which led me to purchase a S1000RR in Jan 2019...and this forum
    Last edited by Biker; 9th January 2021 at 05:54 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Biker For This Useful Post:

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    '15 msport +

Few whilst racing, main one at Cadwell last lap of the last race on a Sunday, high side out of Park (end of Park Straight into Chris Curve) , broken (cracked) leg and torn ankle ligaments. Go Pro came off, landed on the track and filmed me crawling off lol. Main one was a Sunday jaunt on my super moto going to watch some racing of the same. Oncoming vehicle pulled across my path leaving me no time at all to react, went straight over the front then woke up with an off duty nurse sitting on me saying don't move. That, got me worried while I was flexing fingers toes etc. She said I had a dislocated shoulder. I'd had plenty of those playing football so breathed a sigh of relief. Anyway, must have been out for a while because ambulance turned up and started to load me, Jeeeezus C ! pain was intense. Cut a long story short, broken shoulder blade, set of ribs, basically all down the right side. In hospital, was getting short of breath, alarms ringing, actually couldn't breathe anymore so can imagine what it's like to suffocate..... Blacked out and awoke with 30 staples in my back, apparently where the surgeon went in to fix a torn diaphragm which was filling chest cavity with blood stopping lungs expanding. Well, to top it all, turns out I had the ol jump pack attached twice.... My son was so disappointed I didn't have an outer body experience HAHA ! (Was a SMIDSY driver, fine 200squid tut)

Started racing few years after this road accident.

Love my bikes.

Covid? Bahhh......
    Last edited by bananaman; 9th January 2021 at 12:41 PM.
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bananaman For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Wowzers never knew you'd been ressused!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    '15 msport +

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Wowzers never knew you'd been ressused!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Every day's a bonus
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bananaman For This Useful Post:

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER TheGodfather's Avatar

Worst road accident was in 2011 which put an end to my enjoyment of road riding hence 99% on track now.
    Early morning Sunday blast with a mate. We came over a brow on a hill to find a tractor pulling a silo trailor out of of field. He had blocked both lanes almost.
    I watched my mate who was in front do a stoppie into the side of the tractor, while I veered left to avoid hitting him as well as the tractor. The bike slid out on the grass sending me over the top. I blacked out and when i came to I was disorientated and I thought I'd died as I didn't see what had happed or where i was.
    I had slid under the trailor in front of my bike where it had got stuck.
    When realising what had happed i went around to the other side of the tractor to find my mate in a very bad way.
    I was told at the scene and again it hospital that he wouldn't make it. All i had was a sprained wrist and a lump on the back of my hand the size of a tennis ball.
    Fortunately my mate pulled through, but was in a coma for three months, broke several bones, lost sight in one eye and has some brain damage. He only started going back to work in 2019 though not able to do all he used to do.
    To rub salt in the wounds the tractor driver was un insured and we had to take the MIB to court for his compensation. Further more the MIB who are there to protect the insured from the un insured had the tractor driver as their witness to lesson the claim.
    Legal system is a f@cking joke, dispite we had several witnesses in our favour stating how considerate and riding within the speed limit the judge concluded a 70/30 decision in the mib's favour.

On a lighter note
    I wrote my Ducati 999 of..
    I overtook about 3 cars down a hill where at the bottom there is a rh bend which goes up hill again. Having gone round this bend out of site from the cars I'd just passed i entered another left hander a bit too hot. I grabbed too much brake and lost the front. This sent me across the road, fortunately nothing coming as its blind. I slid and hit the curb which sent me flying in the air landing in a ditch. I stood up to see where the bike was and it was lauched into a field clearing a barbed wire fence.
    Having seen where the bike was i could here the cars id overtaken coming up the hill, so i jumped back down in the ditch and hid. I didn't want them thinking look at that tit that went passed us a minute ago.

Now i needed to get the bike out of this field which is a very steep hill. I picked the bike up, it had gouges out the tank from the wire fence, no rear lights or number plate, broken footpeg and the throttle tubing had snapped off. The only part of the throttle was the thicker inner end where the wires attach to the throttle cam.
    I managed to get out the field after an hour of trying. Dropping the bike several more times, steep field, little throttle grip and road tyres.
    On yhe way home i came to a tee junction where unfortunately i pulled out in front of a police car. Immediately i turned left into a shop car park to let them pass and not get pulled. As i went to do a u turn in the car park i discovered the steering was also screwd and the bike went down again.
    Having got up AGAIN i preceded to kick the sh1t out of the bike before riding off again.
    When i met my partner who moved here to the island, instead of taking a tour of the sights she got a tour of all my crash sites of which there are 9.
    I'm much safer on track honest
    Last edited by TheGodfather; 9th January 2021 at 07:33 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheGodfather For This Useful Post:

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER oldwobbler's Avatar
    Riding
    19 msport

There are some quite terrifying stories in this thread. And yet, we still ride bikes. We're not right in the head...........
    Punctuation - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER TheGodfather's Avatar

Here's the said tractor with my lovely RC8 wedged under it. That's my lid where I finally came to. Remarkable that I went under that with no real injury's.
    Last edited by TheGodfather; 13th January 2021 at 05:49 PM.

Riding
    HP4

Worst biking moment riding a GSXR750