Worst biking moments

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
Following from another thread, a thread about your worst biking moment (s)... but of fun and humour to end the year....

Me first.

After a 10 day long road trip to the Aragon GP and back a couple of years ago on a GSA, I was on my way back to the chunnel through France when one of the motorways en route was shut due to an accident. I wasn?t paying much attention to the reroute calculation of the garmin as we had been on motorways for a couple of days and I expected more of the same, and so it looked. After a while the traffic started to get heavier, but it?s ok I thought, arterial route like many French cities have, with a bit of congestion here and there, it will clear.... Then the traffic got worse, and worse. The temp was high 30s, and I was in full rukka kit, with full luggage. After around an hour of stop-start and filtering I looked up only to see the Arc de Triumph at the end of the road. Oh bugger. Another hour or so and I made it out of the carnage on to dual carriageway and on to calais. Paris, on a motorcycle, never ever again lol. Worst time ever.

Was that before they started the alternate days for certain numberplates? (Maximum gridlock)

I think mine was taking my Gen2 out after the winter build. There she was pristine and primed. Turned right out of my garage left onto the main road and the brand new K3 rear spun on bus lane diesel. Bike flew out from under me. Utterly gutted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Test weekend start of this year.

Slid out in the wet second session damaged rearsets bars and fairings on left side.

Was near the pits so rode back. Lost the front on something as I turned into the garage. Damaged right side.

Fantastic first spin of the season.

Last edited:
My worst moment was back in 1998 at Cadwell Park. Massive Highside after Mansfield, broken Shoulder Blade and Collar Bone along with Nerve damage and pain. Nice trip to Louth Hospital (dont go there) and got picked up the next day for the 180 mile journey home. Gutted about trashing my 6 month old bike which a friend kindly repaired for me. Managed to get back on the bike 4 weeks later (in extreme pain).
On a positive, a lesson learnt about traction control !!!

I've had a few...Not too sure which one trumps which to be fair..

1. Crashing my RS 125 within the first week of riding into the back of a car.

2. Pulling out on my SXV 550 from my drive way to the road and slipping on corsas damaging my brand new dual arrow exhausts (First ride with them)

3. Stupidly not pulling over on my R6 which I wasn't allowed to ride at the time due to A2 license, then ringing my mum to find out police waiting at house to take bike :(

4. Stupidly again flipping my R6 and waiting 3 hours for an ambulance with broken ribs and vertebrae.

5. Dropping my s1000rr when on a ride with Oli in the middle of a small ford (Did get a free pair of socks though)

Good times :)

Last edited:

2. Pulling out on my SXV 550 from my drive way to the road and slipping on corsas damaging my brand new dual arrow exhausts (First ride with them)

3. Stupidly not pulling over on my R6 which I wasn't allowed to ride at the time due to A2 license, then ringing my mum to find out police waiting at house to take bike :(

4. Stupidly again flipping my R6 and waiting 3 hours for an ambulance with broken ribs and vertebrae.

5. Dropping my s1000rr when on a ride with Oli in the middle of a small ford (Did get a free pair of socks though)

Answers to the name ?lucky?. Lol.

I've always fancied getting an sxv. Did you have it long? How many times did the engine need rebuilding when you had it? Lovely bikes and sound awesome.

I've always fancied getting an sxv. Did you have it long? How many times did the engine need rebuilding when you had it? Lovely bikes and sound awesome.

I had 3.
Amazing bike I really loved every single one. My first one was probably the best one. 2007, Black sealant (MUST HAVE), And was rebuilt very well by previous owner. I changed oil and oil filter every 300-500 miles.
My second one was a 08 I believe, Very good, But sold to get a old R6, (2006). Didn't really like it as much as the SXV so sold the r6 to get a 2009 SXV. The 2009 was bought from a very trusted member of the Aprilia forum (So I thought) But it blew up on me within 500 miles. ?1500 later and then selling on, Bought a 2009 R6 which I loved.

Last edited:
this year was by far my worst accident, had a few little slips when younger but no injuries. slid off on my first Spanish track day a few years ago but walked away and even got the bike back up and running to finish the days off, but this year hit a patch of gravel a few miles from newtown powys and broke pelvis, femur, broke rib and cracked sternam. but worse than all those brakes i wrote off a perfectly nice M sport. :( . repair bill was over ?15k. oh well new no miles bike is sat in garage ready to help me get over it...come on weater. :)

e4Bk4P4.jpg

I had 3.
Amazing bike I really loved every single one. My first one was probably the best one. 2007, Black sealant (MUST HAVE), And was rebuilt very well by previous owner. I changed oil and oil filter every 300-500 miles.
My second one was a 08 I believe, Very good, But sold to get a old R6, (2006). Didn't really like it as much as the SXV so sold the r6 to get a 2009 SXV. The 2009 was bought from a very trusted member of the Aprilia forum (So I thought) But it blew up on me within 500 miles. ?1500 later and then selling on, Bought a 2009 R6 which I loved.

I think I'll be having a browse of what's for sale tonight...

11.11.2016 **shudder**

Was riding My CBR1200XX north on the North Circular A406 from the Chiswick roundabout.

Stopped at the next set of lights... all good.

Got to pole position and took off sedately .... about 300 yards up the A406 narrows from 2 lanes to 1 and there is a place for oncoming traffic to turn across your path into a side road.

As I approached this area at about 40mph an oncoming car duly lurched across my carridgeway without warning, stopping or indicating.

Wet and slippery road... no time to react... T-bone or stamp on rear brake and slide.

I took option B....

Bike went down right side and spat me off awkwardly.... bike slid around the front of car just missing front bumper but I spun around and smashed full force into the passenger door... back first.

3 broken ribs and 2 cracked vertebrae in spine...

Luckily I happened to be carrying a client's quite bulky metal chassis laptop in my backpack.... upon inspection later the battery area had been crushed to 10% of it's original thickness... think this definitely saved me much more severe spinal injuries. Also lucky the battery pack did not explode!

Car was written off :sulkiness:

As I was lying by the roadside the (clearly myopic) car driver kept trying to hand me his own car keys as his eyesight was so poor he could not clearly see what was in his own hands let alone oncoming frigging traffic :dread:

Silver lining: I strongly suspected that ABS would have saved me ....which led me to purchase a S1000RR in Jan 2019...and this forum :friendly_wink:

Last edited:
Few whilst racing, main one at Cadwell last lap of the last race on a Sunday, high side out of Park (end of Park Straight into Chris Curve) , broken (cracked) leg and torn ankle ligaments. Go Pro came off, landed on the track and filmed me crawling off lol. Main one was a Sunday jaunt on my super moto going to watch some racing of the same. Oncoming vehicle pulled across my path leaving me no time at all to react, went straight over the front then woke up with an off duty nurse sitting on me saying don't move. That, got me worried while I was flexing fingers toes etc. She said I had a dislocated shoulder. I'd had plenty of those playing football so breathed a sigh of relief. Anyway, must have been out for a while because ambulance turned up and started to load me, Jeeeezus C ! pain was intense. Cut a long story short, broken shoulder blade, set of ribs, basically all down the right side. In hospital, was getting short of breath, alarms ringing, actually couldn't breathe anymore so can imagine what it's like to suffocate..... Blacked out and awoke with 30 staples in my back, apparently where the surgeon went in to fix a torn diaphragm which was filling chest cavity with blood stopping lungs expanding. Well, to top it all, turns out I had the ol jump pack attached twice.... My son was so disappointed I didn't have an outer body experience HAHA ! (Was a SMIDSY driver, fine 200squid tut)

Started racing few years after this road accident.

Love my bikes.

Covid? Bahhh......

Last edited:
Worst road accident was in 2011 which put an end to my enjoyment of road riding hence 99% on track now.
Early morning Sunday blast with a mate. We came over a brow on a hill to find a tractor pulling a silo trailor out of of field. He had blocked both lanes almost.
I watched my mate who was in front do a stoppie into the side of the tractor, while I veered left to avoid hitting him as well as the tractor. The bike slid out on the grass sending me over the top. I blacked out and when i came to I was disorientated and I thought I'd died as I didn't see what had happed or where i was.
I had slid under the trailor in front of my bike where it had got stuck.
When realising what had happed i went around to the other side of the tractor to find my mate in a very bad way.
I was told at the scene and again it hospital that he wouldn't make it. All i had was a sprained wrist and a lump on the back of my hand the size of a tennis ball.
Fortunately my mate pulled through, but was in a coma for three months, broke several bones, lost sight in one eye and has some brain damage. He only started going back to work in 2019 though not able to do all he used to do.
To rub salt in the wounds the tractor driver was un insured and we had to take the MIB to court for his compensation. Further more the MIB who are there to protect the insured from the un insured had the tractor driver as their witness to lesson the claim.
Legal system is a f@cking joke, dispite we had several witnesses in our favour stating how considerate and riding within the speed limit the judge concluded a 70/30 decision in the mib's favour.

On a lighter note
I wrote my Ducati 999 of..
I overtook about 3 cars down a hill where at the bottom there is a rh bend which goes up hill again. Having gone round this bend out of site from the cars I'd just passed i entered another left hander a bit too hot. I grabbed too much brake and lost the front. This sent me across the road, fortunately nothing coming as its blind. I slid and hit the curb which sent me flying in the air landing in a ditch. I stood up to see where the bike was and it was lauched into a field clearing a barbed wire fence.
Having seen where the bike was i could here the cars id overtaken coming up the hill, so i jumped back down in the ditch and hid. :chuncky: I didn't want them thinking look at that tit that went passed us a minute ago.

Now i needed to get the bike out of this field which is a very steep hill. I picked the bike up, it had gouges out the tank from the wire fence, no rear lights or number plate, broken footpeg and the throttle tubing had snapped off. The only part of the throttle was the thicker inner end where the wires attach to the throttle cam.
I managed to get out the field after an hour of trying. Dropping the bike several more times, steep field, little throttle grip and road tyres.
On yhe way home i came to a tee junction where unfortunately i pulled out in front of a police car. Immediately i turned left into a shop car park to let them pass and not get pulled. As i went to do a u turn in the car park i discovered the steering was also screwd and the bike went down again.
Having got up AGAIN i preceded to kick the sh1t out of the bike before riding off again.
When i met my partner who moved here to the island, instead of taking a tour of the sights she got a tour of all my crash sites of which there are 9.
I'm much safer on track honest :barbershop_quartet_

Last edited:
Here's the said tractor with my lovely RC8 wedged under it. That's my lid where I finally came to. Remarkable that I went under that with no real injury's. :hopelessness:

Last edited:
Back