Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winter Maintenance - battery leads and paint

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Re: Winter Maintenance - battery leads and paint

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    in theory theres no difference as far as power goes,but as with all optimates,it monitors the batteries condition and varies the amount of amps it puts into the battery, i'm assuming this is what helps keeps the battery healthy,if it's just connected to another 12v source,all that does is keep it at the same level as the donor(and vice versa if the donor battery fails,then so will your bike battery eventually) battery,think of it like 2 glasses of water connected together with a straw at the bottom,they will always balance each other until theres not enough water to do so (was the only analogy of could think of...) but nothing else.
    Works for me - I was assuming the same - it just works like one giant battery. I get that the Optimate is betterer...but then I could just use one of the powerstation batteries that has a 3pin plug and runs a normal optimate.

i.e. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7124013
    Last edited by alex; 12th January 2021 at 05:51 PM.

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    in theory theres no difference as far as power goes,but as with all optimates,it monitors the batteries condition and varies the amount of amps it puts into the battery, i'm assuming this is what helps keeps the battery healthy,if it's just connected to another 12v source,all that does is keep it at the same level as the donor(and vice versa if the donor battery fails,then so will your bike battery eventually) battery,think of it like 2 glasses of water connected together with a straw at the bottom,they will always balance each other until theres not enough water to do so (was the only analogy of could think of...) but nothing else.
    What do you make of this?
    https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/p...tery-combiner/

tbh unless your bike is going to be sat there for a very long time,theres no real need for a leisure battery,any 12v battery will do (if thats the route you want to go) as the amount of drain on it from a bike wont make much difference,biggest issue this time of yr is temp,thats the real battery killer,so insulating it will help.

i've got a spare lithium bike battery that gets connected to the bike if it's going to be away for a long time,a lot easier (weight_+ size wise) to take into house to re-charge when needed

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Bike is sat for months, under ground, tracker draining the battery. In a garage 1 mile away. Swapping the 2 batteries is a ballache.

i dont mean swapping,i mean piggy back on via the existing optimate cables or an anderson plug