Radiator upgrade

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking at replacing the radiator and hoses on my gen 2 the original one is OK but 7 years old and 54000 miles on it so it's more of an upgrade any recommendations on where I can get one the H2o is a bit much 2 grand and not what I need seen some on eBay around 250 but originate in China was hoping to find somewhere in the UK ? THanks

The bigger radiators are usually for racing and do not allow you to fit the fan on them. They are not suitable for road riding.

I'm not, off hand, sure of an option for road riding which has increase thermal capacity.

A shiney new oem with straight fins and no dirt may be an improvement anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's looking that way definitely don't need a race one as I still use it on the road and a bit concerned of quality of the ones from China ? A new BMW one over 600 even asking 3.350 for used ! Just thought there would be loads doing them ? Thanks the advice.

There maybe one out there. I just don't know of one.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

maybe just get yours re-cored,be about ?100,then ?70 ish for samco hoses (or if you want o/e i've loads in boxes)

That does sound like a viable option. as road going upgrades don't seem to be that common you wouldn't happen to know who does it ? I'm after the blue samco hoses ! Thanks

All depends of what you want to do with your bike and in this case weather conditions are very important. I made the upgrade but I am from Greece and also visit circuits in Italy in the Summer. The medium water temperature is around 70-78C in the Circuit with air temperature around 28-30C. Do I use it in public roads? Yes and in the Summer I had no problems. I have not used it in the Winter yet but I am sure I need to cover a good part of the radiator with aluminum tape to get the water temperature around 70C. Here are some pics for you to see how it looks installed...

11635310.jpg

11635910.jpg

11640610.jpg

11659810.jpg

There is a solution I believe that can fit a radiator fan but believe me the bike has to stand still with the engine running for a loooong time to get the temp high enough to worry about. My main concern is how to get the water temp up not low:sneakiness:.

Looks a good set up and as it happens someone was selling one of them radiators on TDA a bit much for my needs and it was the wrong year anyway .looks like I'll be taking the existing one off giving it a good clean and straighten the fins .thanks for the advice.

i used an air hose on my track bike followed by some air conditioner coil cleaner a few years back, worked well. Was surprising how much crap came out with the air line alone.
Mut

Yeah that's what it looks like I'll be doing take the radiator off and clean it with A/C condenser cleaning foam seen this used and a lot of crap oozes out with the foam ! Thanks

I fitted a chinese ebay rad to my gen 2 as the original looked done after lots of winter miles and not much cleaning.

The welding looked decent and no fitting issues.

Fitted silicone hoses at the same time.

Temps after the refit were pretty much identical so if I had to do it again i'd probably try cleaning up the old one and reusing it :)

just be careful using an air line,can do more damage to the fins than good.

if you've got the time/know-how,i'd take the rad off,spray with a good degreaser (jizzer is very good) and the rinse off,give a good soak with with brake cleaner then rinse off again,that will get most of the crap out,then just run a crredit card through the fins to straighten them up as much as poss.

just got on evil bay to look for this AC cleaner, seems to all come from USA, anyone got a UK source?

still wondering what to do with mine, gave it a good clean but doesn't seem to make much difference. Despite having had the bike for 8 years, never really took much notice of the temp reading, always seemed to be about 78 at motorway speeds and still is but I've now noticed that under 30 mph seems to get up to 100 pretty quickly and stopped at lights the fan comes on at 107, never seems to get much hotter, the warning light hasn't come on. Seems to need good speed airflow to keep temp down, so say at 55 on the motorway might get up to 90. Anyway coolant has been changed regularly a service time doesn't use any and thermostat etc seems to work ok. bike has R&G rad and oil cooler guards and engine covers, I've removed the one on the generator cover as the bike was developing a habit of burning out coils on the generator.
So was wondering what sort of temps others are seeing (or if i'm just being paranoid?)

still wondering what to do with mine, gave it a good clean but doesn't seem to make much difference. Despite having had the bike for 8 years, never really took much notice of the temp reading, always seemed to be about 78 at motorway speeds and still is but I've now noticed that under 30 mph seems to get up to 100 pretty quickly and stopped at lights the fan comes on at 107, never seems to get much hotter, the warning light hasn't come on. Seems to need good speed airflow to keep temp down, so say at 55 on the motorway might get up to 90. Anyway coolant has been changed regularly a service time doesn't use any and thermostat etc seems to work ok. bike has R&G rad and oil cooler guards and engine covers, I've removed the one on the generator cover as the bike was developing a habit of burning out coils on the generator.
So was wondering what sort of temps others are seeing (or if i'm just being paranoid?)

As I mentioned it all depends on weather conditions you are using the bike. From my experience your temps look just fine. The S1000RR's are in the hot side of the supersport bikes. There are bikes that are working in higher temps like for example Aprilia RSV4, Ducati 1199/1299 and V4 .

Back