Gen 3 Track exhaust options?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo s2

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My Gen 3 is pretty much track only. I've kept the standard exhaust, as I don't really need any more power and I didn't want to upset the fueling...

But I could do with losing some more weight. Would keeping standard headers, but adding a Akrapovic HP4 Cat and midpipe, with something like an MHP long can save me a decent chunk of weight, whilst staying under 102db? To me, it would appear a good compromise without having to have fueling mapped...

Or am I wrong, suck it up and go full system and an ecu reflash?

Even if you get full race exhaust, you don't really need ECU flash. Gen3's ECU is able to adapt.

But, to make it cheap maybe consider DanMoto's mid pipe + MHP can.

Also worth changing air filter to a racing one.

Last edited:
Yeah it will cope just not be optimised (with a decat).
I don't think you need a cat. I'd get a long can from MHP (300-350mm) and a removable baffle and you should be under 102 (with a decat).

Replaced the cats in my gen3 with straight through pipes thus keeping the headers and butterfly (for static noise test). Austin racing can, v3 I think it was and had no tugs at all. Optimised with a pc

Last edited:
I actually emailed Brands on same topic as I'm not sure my Gen 4s Racefit Growler will pass many tests. Brands said yiu can turn up any day there's a track day operating, but they'd prefer you do so after 10a.m.

I actually emailed Brands on same topic as I'm not sure my Gen 4s Racefit Growler will pass many tests. Brands said yiu can turn up any day there's a track day operating, but they'd prefer you do so after 10a.m.

Hey RickS1K, be interested to hear the outcome of Brands testing - I have the same set up!

Can do FAF. Mine is just a slip on, that the same as you? I didn't specify the exhaust, and assume its' a Growler from pics on their website. I'm waiting on Racefit confirming which one I have - if it is the Growler then they don't offer a DB killer.

Racefit say it was designed for racing rules, which I think is 102db at 5500...whatever it is, it's not 98db at 75% of max revs (which my Gen 2 would pass)..

Last edited:
Ah, I've decatted mine! yes, growler doesn't have a DB killer, but I was surprised that that setup doesn't burst your eardrums! I'm thinking just put original end can back on for track though.

Yup, that's what Racefit tell you to do, but I don't have the original exhaust...

If I even idle both bikes beside each other the Racefit is noticeably louder, and the pops and bangs on downshift are addictive, even with the slip on, but if it can't go on track it won't be much use to me. I'll wait until I see what the noise test says but I might just have to replace the Growler...

Noise Limits

?it was designed for racing rules, which I think is 102db at 5500...whatever it is.

Just be very wary when an exhaust manufacturer is quoting the dB output as ?designed for racing rules?. The ?rules? for BSB and Superstock is that the noise limit is set at 107dB with a +/- 3dB tolerance post-race. The trackday noise limit is significantly lower (generally 102dB static with zero tolerance). Bottom line is that if you want to do UK trackdays then fit a sensible exhaust which accepts a baffle if needed.

Back