"Change brake fluid in entire system"

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPlogger

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since posting anything on here.

Just a few tips on changing brake fluid.

According to owners manual:

"Maintenance schedule"

"9. Change brake fluid, entire system"

"a. annually or every 10000 km (whichever comes first)"

"b. for the first time after one year, then every two years"

I read the above as
at 6213.7 miles since last fluid change or the first year from new and then every two years whichever comes first.

To change the fluid without spilling takes about 500ml includes plenty of flushing new fluid through.

The task is quite straight forward,

I removed the caliper and brake pads cleaned the pistons and calipers out completely with tooth brush, bike wash soap, hot water and microfiber cloth.

Then covered bleed nipple surrounding areas with plenty of blue roll paper, removed nipples to wrap PTFE around the threads, I had an assistant wrap the threads whilst I sealed the bleed nipple holes with nitrile glove on hand. This will prevent air passing the threads when using a vacuum tool to suck out the brake fluid. 4 nipples in total.

Pushed the pistons all the way into the calipers whilst removing the brake fluid from the brake reservoir with a small bottle top pump.

cleaned inside with blue paper wipe and topped up the brake reservoir with new fluid,

Set brake lever to maximum reach.

Starting at the top brake master cylinder bleed valve, attach hose, loosen valve and suck the fluid through with vacuum pump, then bleed conventionally as follows
Whilst keeping reservoir topped up
1. apply brake lever.
2. Use ring spanner to loosen valve with hose attached.
3. Close bleed valve just as brake lever reaches handle.
4. Release brake lever.
Repeat several times.

Follow same steps for Left hand side caliper then Right hand side and back to master cylinder.

The rear brake is easier to do apart from having to remove the reservoir out from position for access to remove old fluid, clean out and top up with new fluid.

Push the rear brake caliper in towards the disk to force the piston all the way in, and simply follow the same steps as above.

Make sure you don't get brake fluid on the brake pads, disks or anywhere else. If you do clean off with brake cleaner or wash off with water and cloth

Or buy Stalhbus/HP speed bleeder valves. Cuts time in half and no mess.

Back