Gen 3 vs Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattals

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guys can i have your honest opinion please..I have a Gen 3 that i love and had since new in 2015 and done a trouble free 20k and love on road and track and done a fair few mods. Im at the stage to change in the new year and really want a Gen 4 motorsport but all the issues are really putting me off and is it really a much better bike? I have used one for a day and thought it was good but where i have done quite a bit to mine it didnt blow me away.

You guys that own them what are they really like?

Other option is a V4s or R1M but would prefer to stick with bmw...

Hi, had a Gen 3 and loved it, didn't think anything would surpass it. Took the plunge, got a 69 plate Gen 4 and it spent three months back at the dealership for new brakes and leaking forks. Very frustrating. But the good news is apart from the frustration with brakes/forks, which I believe should be fixed by now, is the Gen 4 is amazing, really really amazing. It's different from the Gen 3, and it takes a while to transition but once that happens you will never look back. I've tried Ducati V4S etc, it's personal choice but the BMW is the all rounder and they aren't - my opinion. The Gen 4 now I've transitioned, does everything perfectly as opposed to well. It's a leap of faith, but I then went and re-rode a V4S and gave it back early - for me I'd found the perfect replacement for the Gen 3. Hope this helps

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

Gen4 all the way

Much more nible, more powerful and overall better bike

Last edited:
the gen 4 is miles ahead of the 3 imo, it dose have ability to pretend its not that much more of a bike than the 3. gen 4 basically dose everything quicker and easier. its faster and handles a lot faster. it dose take a while to get used to though. ive done 4500 road miles and still struggle with the speed of the handling. its just different league. to get a good comparison you need to do the same roads or tracks as you normally do and see how much faster you take the corners. i loved my gen 3 too and struggled to let it go, i wouldn't swap back, that's for sure.

Can't remember my Gen3, it grew legs what feels like a long time ago now. But I got my Gen 4 in September and so far haven't had any issues outside of a puncture and I was so glad for the tyre pressure sensors. I'm still taking it slow getting used to the bike though; the only thing I've ridden in the last 4 years prior is the Honda NC700S and there really isn't any comparison between the two

I've had teething problems with my Gen4 ( late 2019 model). I just got on and rode it then had any issues sorted when it went in for service. Nothing stopped me from ridding it and enjoying it. Both my gen 3 and 4 are stock (ish) no performance enhancements. 8000 miles on the Gen4 with a few trips overseas, its just better all round. I don't think there is anything I would currently swap it for. It ticks more boxes than anything else.

I must have been very lucky. My gen4 has had no issues whatsoever. Love it and Before I purchased it, I test rode both the V4s and the RSV4 1100, and can honestly say that neither bike felt as good riding the same roads.

can i ask if most of the niggles/issues have been sorted by BMW? or are there still a few ongoing which they know about and working on?
cheers
Mut

Apart from agreeing with everything above I will add that the seating position on the stock Gen4 is way more comfortable than the Stock Gen3 which I needed to stretch my legs on after about an hr I just don?t need to do that now. (I?m 6ft2in) I really think it is the whole package that is well harmonised

can i ask if most of the niggles/issues have been sorted by BMW? or are there still a few ongoing which they know about and working on?
cheers
Mut

The bigger problems were know about by BMW in 2019 - typical new model issues which, for me, were all sorted under warranty. I'd be surprised if a new bike still had the same issues. None of the issues i've had would put me off buying one.

Back