What to do during lockdown..

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieMac

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I've been sorting out garage in the house I moved into late summer during lockdown. This might sound daft but I'm now in my 7th week for my sins. I'm doing 95% of it on my own, just have a labourer in for the stuff that's too heavy on my own. Never done this sort of thing but it's not rocket science and fairly rewarding if knackering. Main issue is working round a garage full of stuff.

The previous owner divided the double garage into two using stud walls held together with what feels like 2 million 6 inch nails. Every piece of wood joined to another had five nails, one from each side and one down from the top. Took me a week just to take it all apart. He also used polystyrene as insulation. Mmmm Napalm is polystyrene dissolved in petrol. Just what you need in a garage.

So far I've removed the stud walls, reused the wood for a stud wall to provide insulation to the single rear wall with a membrane. Side walls are cavity luckily. Then I've insulated and boarded all the walls. I fancied something different so used cheap wood effect wallpaper on the board. Looks so real even close up rubbing your fingers on it. It looked a bit OK Corral at first but that was bear walls.

Completely strengthened the rafters, boarded and insulated the roof. Then did the ceiling. Soffit works a treat if anyone is doing similar.

To do this as cheaply as possible, I brought my 16 year old ikea kitchen from my old house and old flooring. Cabinets went in easily enough with some ingenious balancing the cabinets on ladders etc. Here's were I'm up to. Flooring next week. Aldi are doing 50" TV's for ?279... be rude not to. I've found 1200 x 600 LED Lighting panels to put up next week.

I'm looking forward to decent Securoglide doors going in and then the electrics... by a professional.

Here's pics of the build so far. I'll update them as the finish comes closer. Then electrics... by a professional.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmSr2F9X

I work in TV and unfortunately there?s been no work since lockdown in March. No support from the government either. I?ve just drawn out some of my pension to keep my head above water and fo up the house. Hey ho.

I work in TV and unfortunately there?s been no work since lockdown in March. No support from the government either. I?ve just drawn out some of my pension to keep my head above water and fo up the house. Hey ho.

sorry to hear this, fingers crossed some of these vaccine's work and things can move on. diy is looking good though.:)

Good stuff, would love a garage and to be able to fit it up properly. Keep it coming.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Funny, I have a double garage which looks exactly the same as your 2 picture's. Only mine has looked like that for as long as I care to remember :neglected:

Some job Jamie, a spray booth would be great too...if I'm doing anymore painting I'm going to buy a wee pop shed thing I can put round my back on my decking and get light and a heater into it . The offspray with doing my Fender and belly pan in my garage was everywhere...lets see it when its done pal..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I?ve enjoyed learning. Little bits to finish off after the weekend. It?s been good practise for the house which is next. It was vacant possession. That old ikea kitchen has done me proud yet again in yet another house.

Back