Lever Guards Required

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, these fit Gen4's
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-S100...730890?hash=item4b86a8684a:g:bP8AAOSwD9hft5Nr

Baz caught his brake lever on another rider (who was going slowly) as they drifted across the track taking the line that he was on (he was on the outside of them as they were approaching a right hander). It was a bad call to go round the outside at that point on the track, I'm sure he thought he had time, he rode at a very high level, but, the result was he was catapulted off and died on impact. A brake lever guard could have stopped the minor misjudgement from being fatal.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, and I'm very sorry to hear what happened to Baz. However, I am deadset against this move. I have no problem with whatever safety rules are introduced for racing, but the ethos of trackdays is to be able to take your road legal bike and ride it safely on a track without requiring any modifications. I feel they would do better to encourage/enforce safe riding instead of encouraging close contact, but don't worry at least your brake lever will still work.
I will boycott all future MSVT trackdays if they insist on this rule, and happily support the other trackday providers instead.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, and I'm very sorry to hear what happened to Baz. However, I am deadset against this move. I have no problem with whatever safety rules are introduced for racing, but the ethos of trackdays is to be able to take your road legal bike and ride it safely on a track without requiring any modifications. I feel they would do better to encourage/enforce safe riding instead of encouraging close contact, but don't worry at least your brake lever will still work.
I will boycott all future MSVT trackdays if they insist on this rule, and happily support the other trackday providers instead.

i don?t quite understand your mindset. All Msvr are suggesting is the adding of an inexpensive gadget that might save your life or that of another rider on track. It doesn?t matter how much they encourage or indeed enforce safe riding, accidents can and will still happen. I take it you ride a bmw? I guess you ride in slick mode with the abs turned off and traction control at -7, they are after all just part of a safety net which you don?t seem to need because you ride ?safely?.

What would I do with my ASV shorty levers?
A guard wouldn't cover it anyway.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
In all likelyhood the guard still hits the other vehicle first as it sticks out further. You're more likely to come off because the bars get turned than you stopping and being flung off in a high side.

Nothing stops accidents. We just want to lower the severity of the outcome. I came together with a rider at Portimao. Lever guard worked well for me. We both stayed upright and I was able to apologise profusely back at the garages.

I assume those against them also think masks are a bad idea. Something simple that has a proven benefit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

How is this even a thing, it's surely a move in the right direction at little cost and virtually no hassle fitting or removing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

How is this even a thing, it's surely a move in the right direction at little cost and virtually no hassle fitting or removing.

+1, I too am fully in favour of the lever guard requirement.
As you say, inexpensive, easy to install and makes the sport safer

I absolutely don't get why you wouldn't fit a lever protector for a trackday if it helps prevent accidents and to threaten boycotting them if they enforce it is a bit childish imo.

Re: Lever Guards Reqyired

What happened to Baz?
Hey Stu, you never done an intro, drop us a line or three and tell us a bit more about yourself and your riding experiences... thems the rules.

Stu..

Last edited:
I absolutely don't get why you wouldn't fit a lever protector for a trackday if it helps prevent accidents and to threaten boycotting them if they enforce it is a bit childish imo.
I actually have a set in the garage for my ZX and never bothered fitting them.. their going on now.

I love brake lever guards, especially chunky from Bonamici - they are excellent frame sliders at the same if you low side.

Last edited by a moderator:

they aren't encouaging close contact though are they,just helping to prevent avoidable accidents (and thats the key word here"accident").as for boycotting,well,how childish+immature is that?

you wont be dong many trackdays then when it';s made mandatory by all tdo's,or at least at all msv circuits.

i don?t quite understand your mindset. All Msvr are suggesting is the adding of an inexpensive gadget that might save your life or that of another rider on track. It doesn?t matter how much they encourage or indeed enforce safe riding, accidents can and will still happen. I take it you ride a bmw? I guess you ride in slick mode with the abs turned off and traction control at -7, they are after all just part of a safety net which you don?t seem to need because you ride ?safely?.
I have no issue with people wanting to add them to their bike. My issue is with the requirement to do so. Look again at the T&Cs Vehicle Requirements. There is not a single requirement other than ?good condition?. If we accept this, where will it stop? Soon they?ll be saying lockwire is a great idea for safety ? all bikes must have lockwire? Tyre warmers are a great safety aid ? all bikes must use tyre warmers? Where will it stop?
Riding a bike, especially on track, is exciting but dangerous and people still choose to do it. You cannot design out all aspects of risks, brake levers are only one area of risk. It?s the principles that should be protected for the future. Otherwise we?ll be telling our grandchildren ?in our day we could ride road legal bikes on race tracks ? imagine that!?

In all likelyhood the guard still hits the other vehicle first as it sticks out further. You're more likely to come off because the bars get turned than you stopping and being flung off in a high side.
Sounds like what you describe would have the possibility of making the situation worse than a shorty lever not being contacted.

more regulation is never a move in the right direction. It might be no hassle for you on your bike. It might double the cost of a first trackday for someone else.

I actually have a set in the garage for my ZX and never bothered fitting them.. their going on now.

Good for you.
If it takes enforcement for you to protect yourself, I feel sorry for you. If this new info has prompted you to take action, great! Why can?t MSVT educate first instead of straight to enforcement?

Back