Lever Guards Required

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is progress?
When I were a lad at 17 I could?ve had a pretty powerful bike if I could afford to insure it. Someone not much older than me could?ve had a powerful bike at 16 and not even have to wear a helmet or do a meaningful test.
Nowadays we have fantastic S1000RRs available if we want one. So some things have gotten better, and lots of things are safer. But so much dumbing down. [emoji17]

With respect, you can?t seriously be suggesting that having laws that require motorcyclists to wear a helmet and to pass a more comprehensive test in order to ride a motorcycle on public roads be a step in wrong direction ... surely?

I appreciate the objection to the nanny state, and if you?d made the argument about some of the antiquated speed limits or excessive use of speed cameras on motorways etc, I?d agree with you.
But it does seem like you object to any rule that is put in place, in the name of safety, purely as a matter of ?principle?.

Oh and I don?t think the fact that because all but one on here have agreed with you means that people aren?t ?thinking for themselves?. On the contrary, I think it?s just because the majority have a different opinion to you, on these matters.

I also think that given the fact that you now know that a well known member on here died potentially in part due to a lack of brake lever guard, I think it is in quite poor taste to be so publicly objectionable to this new requirement, when in reality it doesn?t represent a significant cost or inconvenience to you and in no way affects your ability to enjoy the sport

With respect, you can?t seriously be suggesting that having laws that require motorcyclists to wear a helmet and to pass a more comprehensive test in order to ride a motorcycle on public roads be a step in wrong direction ... surely?

I appreciate the objection to the nanny state, and if you?d made the argument about some of the antiquated speed limits or excessive use of speed cameras on motorways etc, I?d agree with you.
But it does seem like you object to any rule that is put in place, in the name of safety, purely as a matter of ?principle?.

Oh and I don?t think the fact that because all but one on here have agreed with you means that people aren?t ?thinking for themselves?. On the contrary, I think it?s just because the majority have a different opinion to you, on these matters.

I also think that given the fact that you now know that a well known member on here died potentially in part due to a lack of brake lever guard, I think it is in quite poor taste to be so publicly objectionable to this new requirement, when in reality it doesn?t represent a significant cost or inconvenience to you and in no way affects your ability to enjoy the sport

In your line of thinking, every trackday participant must have ACU license and a fire extinguisher in a working vehicle at the track. And must pass technical scrutineering (no worn out leather is allowed and etc).

Last edited:
My 2p?s worth...

I?ve had an accident on track that a brake lever guard would have helped with; someone ripped my brake lever off when he hit me coming out of clear ways. Since then, I always had one on my race bike (before it became mandatory).

I?ve no problem with one on my bmw (which I mainly use for Trackdays anyway). Same reason I also lock wire the sump, oil filter and brake caliper bolts; it?s cheap and I?d regret it if I didn?t and something went wrong. It?s cheap, and keeps Msv?s insurers happy!

In your line of thinking, every trackday participant must have ACU license and a fire extinguisher in a working vehicle at the track. And must pass technical scrutineering (no worn out leather is allowed and etc).

Not really a big deal if you are into trackdays and might help prevent some accidents, as well as dodgy bikes that drop oil everywhere you don?t need it, more offputting for the occasional trackdayer.

I get the nanny state issue, this pandemic has shown us what state control really looks like, but not everyone affected by accidents is responsible for them, hence having some common sense rules to keep incidents down.

Last edited:
I think if they put a rule in that you must have more than 1 litre of fuel in the tank before you head out some people would argue against it.

I think if they put a rule in that you must have more than 1 litre of fuel in the tank before you head out some people would argue against it.

If that took 20 mins to dip everyone?s tank before each session to enforce it, I imagine they would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250px-Citizen_smith.jpg

Back