Custom Painted Wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMAC77

Reaction score
I have the Bahnstormer 10th anniversary S1000RR that was designed by BVG. I?m having a big issue with the paint just flaking from the wheels.
I?ve contacted Bahnstormer who spoke to Image Design Custom who Carrie DT he original work out. I?ve been offered to have them redone, at my cost, with an option of the original design or a more simple design at a litre bit lower cost.

What would you guys suggest? If you?ve seen the bike?

I think the original looks amazing and is one of the reasons I opted for the bike. I?m just concerned that this happens again. Not wear through use either as that?s not the problem here.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Kris

Whats the cost?

Also will image design warranty the work as id be pretty pissed their flaking already with little use?

?500 plus VAT, including me getting them there and back from Leeds.

Contacted them. Their was a 2 year warranty which passed. Although it?s not good when they were flaking at 2,000 miles.

Had to remind myself what the wheels looked like, but they don't seem that complicated. Could be worth getting a quote and asking around. I can ask a friend who does paint and body repairs if you like (West London)

Appreciated. There are a few up near me that I can ask. Paint Nation who do lids for BSB and TT guys are an hour away. There is a couple of Bahnstormer stickers on the bike that might be getting removed now.

That?s the last thing you would expect from a showcase bike.

If the paint is flaking off from the wheels that suggests poor prep on the original work. I would go elsewhere for sure.

I use raw wheels near the York designer outlet, don?t know if they can do specific colours, but maybe worth a call?

Exactly what I?ve said to both Bahnstormer and Image Design. I?ve not heard of Raw, but will defo contact them.

Really appreciate that. What a great price. I?ll come back to you as soon as I know what I?m doing.

I paid 350/400 euro Inc. for my wheel to be stripped and painted in a custom blue. They were hard wearing. Never a hassle. Personally I'd not be happy

Are the quotes for basic paint or powder coating? If going for powder coating all the bearings must be removed, but long term wise much more hard wearing and unlikely to flake. Down here we have Trestan Powder coaters who I have used for my bikes over the last ten years.

I've attached a few. One of the bike, one of just the wheels and a few of the damage; the third one is where the paint peeled off down to the original when the weight was removed. I watched them do that and they were really careful as I'd mentioned the paint seemed sensitive.

087D708F-F9E9-4079-8A17-2B5BCA290EDB.jpegC29BD8EC-A765-4093-A08B-1949F7C3DF21.jpeg88B79C25-9B6F-4F3F-8342-D7B785A9FF59.jpegF3309124-B852-4D7C-987E-20ED33D4B825.jpeg59E02D89-589F-4485-A604-4BDB6AD0E714.jpg

I?ve considered powder coating, but they won?t be able to match the design. I?ve also thought I could get vinyl decals and lacquer over them. But really, I think for me it needs to be painted to get it perfect.

Last edited:
Paint and use a clear film to protect...it was probably caused by stones to start with.

It does look like the original black is underneath and so it's paint on paint and that black finish is 'odd' stuff...

Last edited:
It?s poor prep. The paint is peeling from the inside of the wheel. If done right it wouldn?t be so bad and I?d accept it. Wheels always get a little scuffed up.

Maybe contact BvG and ask him to put a good word in (reputation damage). I would not be too chuffed. Hope you get a good result to get it sorted.

Here it is in the showroom when I saw it, it?s very nice

aa7b28e6e7289fce038da8df26717927.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back