To plug, or not to plug

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westy

Reaction score
Evening gents

800 miles in.
1mm diameter

Opinions please of what you would do in my position.

- This is highly likely to be a winter set and won?t see track days in 2021.
- Additionally, as it was slipping / TC on in road mode at 35 degrees back in September (100 miles old onwards) I don?t fancy trying the same again in November on a brand new tyre

a535d303437db98ed025ba220233e6c7.jpg

- M9RR - 200 section
82d2a6864f08ed111f46db779ef44d71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening gents

800 miles in.
1mm diameter

Opinions please of what you would do in my position.

- This is highly likely to be a winter set and won?t see track days in 2021.
- Additionally, as it was slipping / TC on in road mode at 35 degrees back in September (100 miles old onwards) I don?t fancy trying the same again in November on a brand new tyre

- M9RR - 200 section

Always the same, new tyre gets a puncture, why is it never a worn tyre ?...

Dunno westy, if it was me I'd replace it, but as you say it's not going to get a hard life over the winter... we're back to the plug or replace argument..

Plug. Iv yet to have one fail on a bike. Iv rode with a hole to get home. Takes a few mins to go low enough to slow ya down.

They don't fail like a grenade like some people will have you believe

Plug. Iv yet to have one fail on a bike. Iv rode with a hole to get home. Takes a few mins to go low enough to slow ya down.

They don't fail like a grenade like some people will have you believe

i did however have a ?25 vulcanised repair fail on a van and it did go off like a grenade. the tyre depot even had to send it away to be done. tyre was a week old and cost ?150 so was worth doing until it exploded on me at 60mph about a week later. the repair was in the outer 3rd so couldn't have a normal repair. must say i did shit myself when it went and since then am defo not keen on repairing bike tyres on ?20k bikes. :)

i did however have a ?25 vulcanised repair fail on a van and it did go off like a grenade. the tyre depot even had to send it away to be done. tyre was a week old and cost ?150 so was worth doing until it exploded on me at 60mph about a week later. the repair was in the outer 3rd so couldn't have a normal repair. must say i did shit myself when it went and since then am defo not keen on repairing bike tyres on ?20k bikes. :)

Maybe it was a big hole that shouldn't have been repaired. Plugged tons of my tires on the bike. Worst iv had was one slowly deflating over a few days.

Maybe it was a big hole that shouldn't have been repaired. Plugged tons of my tires on the bike. Worst iv had was one slowly deflating over a few days.

it was just a small nail but was in outer edge which is why no tyre fitter could repair and it had to be sent off somewhere. wasnt fun though. :)

Good evening all,

Thanks for the support and advice - many fast responses regarding this (decisive) subject.

I've had it professionally mushroom plugged to see me over Winter - all seems fine.
The tyre wasn't losing any pressure when riding s I believe it's not one to be concerned about.

Photo's below of Russ's tyres @ Saturday 0800hr for the plunging, and post plug - it's pretty obvious in the tyre.

22b1d344bc07676da68c3167cfdf92a3.jpg

a1ed0e8097b462e073e48de8a9324409.jpg

A1FE4505-FE80-4F87-B736-20E54A1C8376.jpegHere is my offering from a couple of weeks ago - pretty sure it was an electric screwdriver bit judging but the puncture shape - the screen lit up like a Xmas tree in red and the bike went into a limp mode. I rode about 1/2 mile to a filling station air hose but the air was leaking out almost as fast as the air pump could put it in. Plus side of the experience was the efficiency of the Motorrad recovery service, and a good excuse for me to fit a set of S22 BattleAx, not a fan of the Metzlers

Back