Front wheel binding gen4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoc

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
hi guys my front wheel is binding since ive had a left fork rebuilt for knocking left fork,ive took the brakes off wheel spins freely cleaned the brakes put back on and the wheel still binds took the brakes off ,wheel out ,couldnt find anything wrong,what a pain in the arse to get the front wheel spindle in it nearly took me a hr,so my question is, is there a special way of doing the wheel,and brakes up,i think its a misalinment issue, the discs are not warped the bikes only done 1600mils cheers

Re: tront wheel binding gen4

is the treaded nut part in the bottom of the l/h fork been put in in the correct position. its obviously not normally undone or removed when wheel removing/fitting. everything bolts upto it and if its moved is everything slightly out.

My immediate thoughts too...also...are the pistons moving freely ?...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Too much fluid in the resevior? (Can push pistons).

Push the pistons back fully, pop the calipers back on. Spin the wheel, does it move ok with pads fully recessed? Does it look in line? if it's not in line then you need to move the axle nut in the LHS fork to align it and the ABS sensor.

If all is well then pull one caliper only, which piston DOESN'T move when you squeeze the lever? Undo the brake fluid resevoir cap. Use something to hold back the freely moving pistons till the slow/stuck one is out enough to clean. Toothbrush (mrs') and soapy water. Give it a damn good clean. Push it in (fingers should be able to (don't let the other pistons move)), squeeze the lever to push it out, clean again, repeat until you're happier with its movement. Clean the others and them all pushed back.

Do the other caliper. Retest.

https://youtu.be/0sHQfnbf9t4

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Worth checking the torque value of the front spindle too. If this has been done gorilla tight, binding can occur.

???
I have written a long description in the past about how to do it but couldn?t find it. This video essentially covers it.
Yeah i just can't stand him and some of his stuff has been proven dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
hi guys my front wheel is binding since ive had a left fork rebuilt for knocking left fork,ive took the brakes off wheel spins freely cleaned the brakes put back on and the wheel still binds took the brakes off ,wheel out ,couldnt find anything wrong,what a pain in the arse to get the front wheel spindle in it nearly took me a hr,so my question is, is there a special way of doing the wheel,and brakes up,i think its a misalinment issue, the discs are not warped the bikes only done 1600mils cheers

Thanks for post & all the replies, l?ve just been told the same thing on my bike that the left fork needs replacing due to the knocking , lets hope piddys in notts do a good job :dread::dread::dread:

cheers guys ive cleaned the pistons,twice,after watching Dave Moss vid ,i didnt hold the brakes on when i did them up, the other thing he said was to undo both sets of pinch bolts on the bottom of the forks, i only un did the right fork pinch bolts, so is it both sets of pinch bolts or just the right side,

cheers guys ive cleaned the pistons,twice,after watching Dave Moss vid ,i didnt hold the brakes on when i did them up, the other thing he said was to undo both sets of pinch bolts on the bottom of the forks, i only un did the right fork pinch bolts, so is it both sets of pinch bolts or just the right side,

if the l/h bolts have never been undone then imo i wouldnt. that is set and wont be your issue. if undone you really will struggle to get it back to the right place, its your only factory fixed guide imo. what front stand are you using.

im using a warrior stand that lifts the complete bike off the ground,i have not touched the left pinch bolts ,but the dealer might have done when they rebuilt the left fork,for the knocking issue i had,alex is that with the spindle hand tight or torqued up,then bounce and tighten the right pinch bolts also i noticed the fork tubes are showing 2 lines above tripel clamp,i thought the forks were flush on the gen 4,thanks a lot guys for your help

all sorted apart from the fork height through the top yoke,i used the hold front brake on,do up the brake,loosen the rhs pinch bolts pump the forks up and down 10 times,tighten pinch bolts with the ign on,worked a treat thanks a lot guys:purplebananna:im a happy bunny

all sorted apart from the fork height through the top yoke,i used the hold front brake on,do up the brake,loosen the rhs pinch bolts pump the forks up and down 10 times,tighten pinch bolts with the ign on,worked a treat thanks a lot guys:purplebananna:im a happy bunny

Glad that sorted it. J

Back