My Gen 4 Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small update with the old bike. I've had a bit of luck with my fairings and even better my tail unit.

The side fairings and cowl are from Japan. Originally i was going to buy them from a vendor on Ebay but a colleague of mine in Japan said he knew of a company that makes FRP and Carbon parts for motorcycles. (We used to work motorsport products in Japan so still have some contacts) We got in touch and I managed to source the front cowl (one piece) and the side fairings. While the rear is actually an Ilmberger unit. Again from my new Japanese pals. But it was modified, i believe they most likely had it to see if they could make/offer something similar. Anyway it was a bargain.

They also make a full race FRP fairing that is for road bikes. So it has the option for light cutouts and the mirror blanks. Also there is a belly pan extension available in FRP and Carbon for the stock system. If these is of any interest to anyone i can show some pics. The FRP race fairing is similar costs to CRC and the carbon belly pan is about ?300 exc shipping.

It lost also a few KG in weight, amazing how much the road fairings weigh. I got geeky weighed the stock road and new carbon fairings. Saved about 2KG in total.

Other than that, no new exciting mods at the moment bar an Alpha racing clutch cable, which is more of a necessity. Also i changed all the OEM clips/bolts on the belly pan to DZUS fasteners to make it easy to whip the belly pan off for oil changes.

Next I think I need to look at suspension, i would like to see how far i can go with the stock items. Changing to the correct springs for my weight, look at oil levels/weights before I consider going down the aftermarket route.

Definitely want a spare set of wheels as well. Perhaps get a nice set of Forged wheels for dry days/road and keep my present wheels as wets? Which means i have an excuse to upgrade the rotors and then finally a full system.

In regards to the cosmetics. Has anyone ever wrapped a tank? Wondering how hard wearing it is?

CBCC0029-1A56-40FE-B193-16C407940D0B.jpg
0E624903-3A4D-41BF-A300-741FB0BE77B6.jpg
internet_use_RR1_1157.jpg

Another small update.

I decided to wrap the tank and infill panels. It wasn't too difficult but you need some patients. The tank had two attempts, the first time I wasn't happy as over stretched the wrap. 2nd time came out a lot better.

The tank grips are not actually stuck on top of the wrap but are directly onto the original paint rather than wrap itself. I was worried they would move about on track. Also by cutting out the rough shape of the tank grips made it a lot easier to wrap the tank. Probably the hardest part was the airbox cover itself.

Anyway I pretty happy with the results and it at least gives the tank/paint work some added scratch protection.

IMG_9221.jpg
IMG_9261.jpg

Bike is looking really nice! Great job on the tank, I?ve tried my hand at wrapping some parts previously and always had to peel it back off haha!

The updates you are making to your bike look so good. Out of interest, why is the Alpha racing clutch cable a necessity ? what's the difference to the stock cable ? Did you also get the Strauss carbon tank protection from you contact in Japan ?

cheers

Bike is looking really nice! Great job on the tank, I?ve tried my hand at wrapping some parts previously and always had to peel it back off haha!

I think the quality of the wrap and heat counts. I am no expert though...it is more luck haha.

The updates you are making to your bike look so good. Out of interest, why is the Alpha racing clutch cable a necessity ? what's the difference to the stock cable ? Did you also get the Strauss carbon tank protection from you contact in Japan ?

cheers

The OEM cable is too short once you install a set of clip-ons. You can get away with it (just) if you keep the oem position but as soon as you start playing with different positions it will cause issues.

Regarding Strauss, i work with them so drop me a PM and i will talk to you about their parts :)

I just fitted an an alpha clutch cable with alpha clip ons and found the cable to long, went back to standard cable and can't see any issues using it

I guess maybe it depends how wide the bars are set ?

I just fitted an an alpha clutch cable with alpha clip ons and found the cable to long, went back to standard cable and can't see any issues using it

Even with the bars loose and moving as far in and out as possible there was no issues I have changed the top yoke aswel but can't see that being an issue

All depends on clutch lever position and bar position. Some get away with the OEM some don't. I didn't and needed the longer cable.

Did it come with the ride mode pro? I always thought the sport meant it had essentially the dynamic package so DDC and ride mode pro.

Back