My Gen 4 Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavD101

Reaction score
Thought it was about time I added a few new pics of Gen 4 and a little write up about it.

The bike was bone stock ex-demo. Had a few issues but all sorted now. This is my only bike and it is intended to do everything, Sunday plod about, visiting clients and track day tool. To be honest though it will spend a lot of time on track (Because I am a slow plodder who loves track days) but it definitely isn't going to be one trick pony or garage queen haha.

Because it is used on track a lot I have got a bit obsessive on the protection side of things.

Spec so far:

GB racing cover kit and frame sliders
R&G front and rear Axle sliders
BMW Radiator rad guards
M Cover kit
Ilmberger Frame guards
Strauss carbon tank sliders
Strauss Carbon mud guard
Strauss Carbon Swing arm protectors

Performance:

Sprint Filter P08.
Akrapovic Carbon Slip on and i have coming the SS header.

Braking:

Brembo SC pads and Motul RBF660
Brembo XR01171 MC to be fitted over winter and swap to RC pads

Tyres:

Jury is still out what to go for but i think for UK track days and road work Dunlop Sportsmart TT (At present it has Michelin RS and i am not liking those on track, great on the road though)
Euro track days - No idea yet!

Suspension:

Stock, I have set the sag and preload but not 100% happy. It is going down to HM racing for a proper setup. I'll go by their advice what to do with oil levels and spring weights as i think it maybe over sprung for me.

Body:

I have been very fortunate to get hold of some tasty Strauss Carbon fairings and a belly pan. Let's just say it was a cheaper option to get these than OEM replacement fairings. (I am waiting for them to arrive) Now i love the red of my bike and don't want some odd miss match of carbon and red. So I will be part wrapping these to match the existing paint. I have some good ideas on how i can fade the carbon through to the red. with the help of Sublime.

I also have a Carbotex race fairing (Front fairing/belly pan) which will reserved for European track days. Again i will get this wrapped.

Next bits:

Rear sets because i absolutely hate the stock levers. In the wet they are so damn slippery. But i do like the stock position. Clip-ons possibly. I actually really enjoy the stock position, only reason i would change them is because in an event of a crash i can see the stock clip on damaging the fork tubes.

Pics are a little outdated but i will try and update them as the bike and me progress. Thanks for looking.

IMG-7327-scaled.jpgIMG_7601.jpgIMG-77741-scaled.jpgIMG-7760-1-scaled.jpgA47A1A06-26E4-44CB-8452-015D59C67CB3.jpg

Hows the Strauss carbon look/fit?

I've been looking for Carbotex, got a link?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hows the Strauss carbon look/fit?

I've been looking for Carbotex, got a link?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The extra protection parts, i.e tank slider and rear swing arm is perfect. They are very snug and don't have any areas that sit high or proud. While the quality, i personally think it is on par or even slightly better than Ilmberger.

The other body parts haven't arrived yet but once they do i will let you know how those fit. I expect just as good as oem.

SP Engineering in Frome, Somerset. Same price as GB. Collected mine as a pleasant ride and good stock variety.

Thought i would do a little update. For 2021 I have decided to do a few more improvements to the bike. As it will spend a fair bit of time on track I want to make sure it is more suited for it's track adventures. However it is very much staying road legal as it is my only bike and I still enjoy road riding. I love the red, so it will have a decal kit made by Sublime, we are aiming for something that is OEM plus look, factory as possible but with a few nice tweaks to the look.

The main changes centre around giving the bike a fighting chance if (And when) i decide my abilities are rubbish and the bike needs to take a dirt nap. So race fairings and new clip-ons (As the stocks ones are fork busters). Improvement to the brakes, suspension, tyres. While the rest of my dwindling track day pot will be spent on lots of track instruction.

First up the OE Master cylinder has been ditched for a Galespeed VRC. Such a nice bit of kit, super easy to fit and bleed. Initial garage test suggests it is going to offer a more consistent feel and power. The big thing i found with the OE lever is it didn't give me a ton of confidence as the feel would change lap to lap.

28A0FF9D-19B8-4B84-B251-4FEDEA13A7E0.jpg

Fairings are coming off but headlights are staying on. Yep, i am going to attempt to mod the CRC fairings to accept the lights. I spoke to Alpha about their EWC bikes and asked how they did theirs. They confirmed they cut them out.

IMG_8218.jpg

Debating about taking the charcoal canister out? Anyone else done this on their road bike? I am not going to test fit the race fairing just yet as i need to fit the clip-ons on and need access on the left side to unplug the DDC.

IMG_8251.jpg

What i did find is the BMW rad and oil cooler guard are just held in place by the fairings, no bolts or screws. So as soon as you remove the lower fairing/belly pan they just fall out. Need to find a neat way of keeping these in place.

IMG_8252.jpg

Looks good Gav, any chance of a good couple of photos of the carbon frame protectors, looking to possibly get some for my black storm, just want to see how they look in detail first

Thanks dude. Yeah i will grab some today for you. They are from Ilmberger. Great quality and would look awesome on your bike. Strauss also offer them, their quality is easily as good.

Small update on the race fairings. I test fitted them last night, while the light cowl will work. The biggest issue is the race belly pan. There is no chance of fitting that without a major bit of cutting, otherwise that bellypan is going to be a molten mess. Time for a rethink haha.

Calsport

You will normally find Calsport are cheaper than Performance Parts.

Back