Front brake feel : Race bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graeme4130

Reaction score
Hi All
I've just got a 20 S1000RR that I'm going to be racing next year, but no matter how many times I bleed the front brakes, I can't get much feel into them and they're always spongy
I'm using Hel lines from Alpha and Zo4 pads/Brembo race fluid
Is this the norm with these Hayes Calipers/OE Mc ?
I'd rather not swap the MC to a Brembo one as I'll need to keep the bike SStk1000 compliment

Hi All
I've just got a 20 S1000RR that I'm going to be racing next year, but no matter how many times I bleed the front brakes, I can't get much feel into them and they're always spongy
I'd rather not swap the MC to a Brembo one as I'll need to keep the bike SStk1000 compliment

Try mine at Jerez and see what you think about Brembo 19RCS

But calipers are spongy especially when getting hot.
Its best noticeable at end of long straights like Portimao or Mugello. You can used to it to some degree, 2nd turn the lever gets back to being firm.

Last edited:
Hi All
Is the ABS still on the bike?

Mine are very spongy even with a bleed with race fluid and new pads. Especially when they get a bit too warm, i am replacing the MC with a XR01171. My own personal opinion is the callipers are good and much better than the Brembo on the Gen 3.

Mine are very spongy even with a bleed with race fluid and new pads. Especially when they get a bit too warm, i am replacing the MC with a XR01171. My own personal opinion is the callipers are good and much better than the Brembo on the Gen 3.

you will have same feeling. the problem is in calipers not in mc.

calipers are better than gen3 no doubts, but still

SSTK allows M/C replacement not calipers...I'd do it personally. I think the Nissin OE's can be hit n miss

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Master Cyclinder

Ah, ok, I thought you could in the name of safety.

No; it?s all to do with keeping costs down in STK1000. That said to build a competitive National STK1000 racer will cost you anywhere between ?27,000 to ?35,000 (including the cost of the bike).

No, ABS removed as part of MCRK kit
I got out on the bike for the first time at a Damp Oulton Park today, and the brakes weren't as bad as they feel with the bike stationary. Still, I have some more bleeding and fiddling to do, and I reckon I can improve the feel a little bit still
Bike's mega though, and even on a damp dish track and worn Supercorsa SC2's, it finds drive really well
I think the cylinder deactivation's going to take some getting my head around, and I've set maps in the calibration software for Dry1 to have it, and dry2 not. Both set up with the size details of V02 slicks that I'll use in Jerez to test the bike properly next month (Hopefully it's dry and sunny - fingers crossed)

I believe the bike will be very good. The front feeling is essential for a race bike to go fast. You need to trust it. Hope you resolve it.

Can all SSTK bikes be upgraded with M1000RR parts? I believe they can as they are OEM parts. If correct you could buy the M1000RR bodywork and brakes and stick them on a stocker.

Can all SSTK bikes be upgraded with M1000RR parts? I believe they can as they are OEM parts. If correct you could buy the M1000RR bodywork and brakes and stick them on a stocker.
Unfortunately not. The M1000R isn't homologated for BSB Stk1000 as it costs more than the ceiling value
Hence why you don't get any V4R's in SSTk1000

You boys in SSTK need to petition BMW to put the calipers/m/c on the options list for the '21 S1000RR

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back