UK roads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwobbler

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get a trip to France/ German/ Austria in August. The ride from the NE of England to the chunnel was the worst day of the trip. Congestion, pot holes, average speed cameras etc. Once across the channel it was a stark reminder as to how bad our roads have become. Even back roads in the middle of nowhere in Germany are in way better condition than our main roads.
Riding a bike this can result in life and death situations.
On my return to the UK I tackled a mate who works for the local council (He's fairly high up) and asked him "when are you lot going to do something to fix all these pot holes???!!" Jokingly of course. He said we are in "managed decline" . So probably for me, where I live, the roads are only going to get worse for the foreseeable future. I was a bit depressed after that :grumpy:[SUB][/SUB]

Last edited:
I agree with you, the state of our UK roads is terrible and getting worse when we compare to our Euro neighbours. I travel to the Nurburgring a couple of times a year (except this year!) in car, and the roads in Germany especially I find remarkable.

Not so sure it is a managed decline, more like a totally incompetent failure to run even a bath.

Thing about places like germny and france is they are vastly greater areas so the density of traffic over their roads is much reduced compared to here. Less wear and tear.

The number of NSL single carriageways has dramatically reduced in he south over the last decade. Nothing to do with road safety, it?s just that there?s no money to keep them at a std that allows 60mph, so it saves ???.
It?s only going to get worse! Maybe one day we?ll be able to apply for a grant for essential infrastructure from someplace like Spain did. Oh hang on...

Talking of riding on poor condition roads and bike suitability, how are you getting on with the GS Soof?

For me it really is a better weapon for the UK roads than the s1000rr. I have enjoyed the road miles so much more since getting it, I was finding the rr hard work after 30-40 minutes.

Glad you're enjoying your new bike Soof, I've never had a go on a GS but would like to at some point.

Back