Fastbike USB

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavD101

Reaction score
Anyone been following Fastbike's USB? I just received the latest copy through the post and was surprised by their comments regarding the BM. I won't say who won in case some of you are wanting to read the results. But for those not reading about the USB test, the last 3 bikes were the BM, Honda and Aprillia.

Anyway this is more of a rant (haha) about what seems to be a lack of understanding with setup by some testers. But maybe there should be more focus on the manufacturers, where they do not make it clear what the modes do and how it effects the ride/suspension.

Basically they said the bike lacked front end feel and didn't give confidence for them to really push. But they were running the BM in Race mode for the test. They did not put it in track mode. And as we know Race mode suspension fully active. While track mode it is effectively semi active.

The other two bikes are running Ohlins which is semi active.

I just think it put the BM at a disadvantage from the outset.

Anyone been following Fastbike's USB? I just received the latest copy through the post and was surprised by their comments regarding the BM. I won't say who won in case some of you are wanting to read the results. But for those not reading about the USB test, the last 3 bikes were the BM, Honda and Aprillia.

Anyway this is more of a rant (haha) about what seems to be a lack of understanding with setup by some testers. But maybe there should be more focus on the manufacturers, where they do not make it clear what the modes do and how it effects the ride/suspension.

Basically they said the bike lacked front end feel and didn't give confidence for them to really push. But they were running the BM in Race mode for the test. They did not put it in track mode. And as we know Race mode suspension fully active. While track mode it is effectively semi active.

The other two bikes are running Ohlins which is semi active.

I just think it put the BM at a disadvantage from the outset.

I thought it was accepted that the BM DDC isn't at the same level as the Ohlins semi-active kit?

I believe it is, which is why I thought sticking it in track mode and making it "less" active would give it more of a fighting chance during tests.

Have not read it Gav, nor do I care what they might say. I'll go with 44Teeth Superbike Shootout rating, Kind of the Road and Track! Whoop whoop! :D

As my US colleagues say, Happy Fridayyyyy! :D

I can appreciate the frustration ...
I used to religiously read every review going, but it always seems to be the case that the latest bike does well, and anytime something new comes along the ?issues? of the previous years winner only then become apparent.

I don?t subscribe to the argument that anything with an Ohlins sticker is by default better than the BMW DDC kit. I agree with the OP that the Gen 4 kit in Race Pro mode, where it is essentially no longer semi-active, makes a huge difference to the feedback and handling.

I personally don?t think any of the major publications give honest, objective feedback, probably due to concerns over souring relationships with manufacturers.

The best motorcycle reviewer, is yourself!

I agree Oli, and I only tend to take notice of respected journalists, and Michael Neeves rates this bike very highly too. It won the MCN Superbike Shootout.

I tend to agree that the BMW doesn't have masses of front end feel even in race pro modes but it still instills plenty of confidence, especially with sticky tyres.
The thing that annoys me is when the bike gets described as lacking in character, it sometimes seems as though because it does everything so well and without any drama it gets penalised for it, this bike is essentially a tool to do a job and it does it amazingly.
Maybe a twin, v4 or cross plane crank sound better to some people but personally I love the sound of an in-line 4 at full chat.

I tend to agree that the BMW doesn't have masses of front end feel even in race pro modes but it still instills plenty of confidence, especially with sticky tyres.
The thing that annoys me is when the bike gets described as lacking in character, it sometimes seems as though because it does everything so well and without any drama it gets penalised for it, this bike is essentially a tool to do a job and it does it amazingly.
Maybe a twin, v4 or cross plane crank sound better to some people but personally I love the sound of an in-line 4 at full chat.

AKA Honda.:rolleyes-new:

I can appreciate the frustration ...
I used to religiously read every review going, but it always seems to be the case that the latest bike does well, and anytime something new comes along the ?issues? of the previous years winner only then become apparent.

I don?t subscribe to the argument that anything with an Ohlins sticker is by default better than the BMW DDC kit. I agree with the OP that the Gen 4 kit in Race Pro mode, where it is essentially no longer semi-active, makes a huge difference to the feedback and handling.

I personally don?t think any of the major publications give honest, objective feedback, probably due to concerns over souring relationships with manufacturers.

The best motorcycle reviewer, is yourself!

Couldn't agree more.

Yes i do think a lot of it is to do with relationships. Which in reality a reviewer should be able to point the good and the bad without causing upset. A good example of an honest review with backlash was with Chris Harris. He absolutely slated the latest the Mercedes A45S (If anyone is into cars). Well he didn't get an invite to the launch of the new AMG GT Black series haha.

Strangely the whole magazine was Honda related this month and they are also running a Blade as their long termer....

The whole thing character thing i do not get either. I think it has tons of it and a great looking bike as well.

Couldn't agree more.

Yes i do think a lot of it is to do with relationships. Which in reality a reviewer should be able to point the good and the bad without causing upset. A good example of an honest review with backlash was with Chris Harris. He absolutely slated the latest the Mercedes A45S (If anyone is into cars). Well he didn't get an invite to the launch of the new AMG GT Black series haha.

Strangely the whole magazine was Honda related this month and they are also running a Blade as their long termer....

The whole thing character thing i do not get either. I think it has tons of it and a great looking bike as well.

But you are happy with 44T's findings even though they have a strong BMW relationship?

Does it really matter what anyone else thinks about our bikes?

There are valid reasons to pick the Gen 4, V4S, Ape 1100 or Honda over the others depending on what you are looking for in a bike and what's important to the person making the decision.

Couldn't agree more.

Agreed, like when he got banned from testing Ferrari?s for several years.

I always think ?character? is just a journalists way of sugar coating flaws lol. Take vibration for instance, on an inline 4 it is considered a problem, but vibration on a V-twin is considered ?character? lol [emoji2957]

Couldn't agree more.

I agree and on the topic of Chris Harris, I thought he was better before he joined TG, used to enjoy his reviews more then. He seems to have gone down hill since going TG, seems to clown around more and come across as a geek.

Back