Low mileage vs Age.... What's the tradeoff?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerSlow

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker here (apologies). I bought my fireblue in 2012 and didn't use it that much for a whole host of reasons. I resisted selling as just looking at it made me happy.

Circumstances now are tougher like for most people. My question is that the bike is 2012 with only 4500 miles ish on the clock. What's the opinion about mileage true importance in resale value?

Quid of accessories? Ohlins / Akra / Pazzo / RG etc?

Opinions welcome otherwise Guru ebay will be the judge I guess!

Thank you all.

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

Short answer to your question I guess must be... well kept, low mileage, dealer serviced machines should achieve a higher chop in/resale value across the board.

I like your colour, some hate it, but it always catches my eye when you see one and thats rarely..

Are you looking to trick her up now ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi there - I think it's time to let it go as I'll leave the country soon. It's either that or ship it to France and register it there I guess! I just haven't been able to use it: great dream bike but on a day to day or even week end to week end on British roads I was much happier with a wheezy GS1200!

Brand Hatch a couple of weeks ago :) I can't ride this bike on the road - the position kills my back after an hour and I like to keep a clean license. On track its pleasant but I think I'd actually be better with a 600 - I feel more comfortable without the manic race mode. But hey.... it looks ace

If you can put it back to stock and sell the accessories separately you'll get a slightly better return on your money. It does look nice though - James May had one in the same colour (now for sale at Bahnstormer in Maidenhead)

If you can put it back to stock and sell the accessories separately you'll get a slightly better return on your money. It does look nice though - James May had one in the same colour (now for sale at Bahnstormer in Maidenhead)

Well, I had to look to see what it was worth. James's bike - has even fewer miles than BikerSlow's, only 2928 miles, wtf. They want 10.5k for it? That's got to be cheeky/misprint surely. These bikes were 14.2 new. For very selfish reasons I'd love to think that Bluefires are holding their value better than other colours (mine has 19k miles).

I was happy with bluefire being the fastest colour... :)

Is that 500 miles per year?
suppose if it's been to BMW every year for service might be ok, but on mileage wouldn't be at first service.
Things like a full akra would swing it for me.
Nice colour too

Yep 500m on average that a bit of a joke isn't it.

Very bad back was my main issue plus many months abroad right when the weather is semi friendly in this country. Add to that a GS bought in 2015 which REALLY was much easier to live with for longer trips to France etc and that's what happened...

Full akra etc I had decided against it: costly, no need for more power and noise level probably up vs what's already borderline with the slip on without a baffle in.

Colour wise I wonder why there was no real follow up - I loved the blue (kind of Suzuki Rizzla) but I have not seen anything in "that style" in subsequent years?

Other bikes in BMW?s range have used that colour but the RR was only available in that colour for one season. I thought it looked same as Rizla Suzuki until I parked mine beside one, they're quite different...for light blue bikes....

Haha yes true I did the same :)

The BMW blue is way deeper in fact - still not sure why only one season I guess everyone rushed to the motorsport color scheme!

I've put mine on ebay let's see what happens.

Bmw used to run colours for one year across a number of their ranges, essentially to keep sales ticking over, the blue and the acid green spring to mind as the standout interesting ones.

Feels like you are correct on getting back to stock... Taking out Ohlins TTX and the Akra then!

Bike sold to a nice chap from Wales.

Ohlins TTX/Akra/2 Almax 4 CSS locks and read luggage I guess to ebay?

I can't say that the lockdown helped.... If anyone is after a good GS1200 2015 with all bells and whistles pls let me know!

Ohlins TTX: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174546255059?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Akra:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174546266589?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Luggage:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174546447794?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
GS 2015:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174546520029?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Back