Holy Huggers Batman!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Or, more specifically, does the hole in the hugger (Gen3) serve any purpose other than to let all the shite through onto the suspension? :mad:

I finally gave in and took the bike out in the rain as I realised I had no idea how it would behave, especially as I've never used the Power 5s before. As it was, bike and tyres were impeccable, despite torrential rain, and the the Slipscreens TT screen gave brilliant level of cover. Looking the bike over in the dry, I can see most of the dirt is around the underseat and hugger but the amount that goes through the hole in the hugger is ridiculous!

So, before splashing out (sorry, couldn't help it), just checking that a fully covered hugger isn't going to cause any weird kind of issue? :suspicion:

I?ve seen some that put a fine mesh underneath to stop all that crud from flinging up.

I did buy some from a local iron monger but not yet put it on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hole in the hugger is designed to be there should the rear compress to a point whereby the abs unit housing needs clearance. Years ago I spoke to a ilmberger distributor about this and they had tried racheting down the rear of a bike to try and force contact without success, so in reality it will never happen. I have always fitted non-abs rear huggers (no hole) to my s1krs without issue.

The hole in the hugger is designed to be there should the rear compress to a point whereby the abs unit housing needs clearance. Years ago I spoke to a ilmberger distributor about this and they had tried racheting down the rear of a bike to try and force contact without success, so in reality it will never happen. I have always fitted non-abs rear huggers (no hole) to my s1krs without issue.

I have an ilmberger one without hole on my Gen 2 & not had any problems either.

Great , thanks all. Now for the fun of selecting the best (ok, cheapest) version. Having the advantage of not caring about weight savings (lap timing on the M25 is discouraged), I'm aiming for whatever stops the most mud.
Wasn't going to worry about the chain guard but it looks like Pyramid make an all-in-one that would do what I want it to:

https://www.bobsbikestuff.co.uk/our...0RR-1018-Rear-Hugger-Gloss-Black-074270B.html

Thought I remember reading yonks ago they?re typically there for some sort of air pressure considerations? Guess you?d need high speeds to really worry about that tho so...

What he says

Great , thanks all. Now for the fun of selecting the best (ok, cheapest) version. Having the advantage of not caring about weight savings (lap timing on the M25 is discouraged), I'm aiming for whatever stops the most mud.
Wasn't going to worry about the chain guard but it looks like Pyramid make an all-in-one that would do what I want it to:

https://www.bobsbikestuff.co.uk/our...0RR-1018-Rear-Hugger-Gloss-Black-074270B.html

Ilmberger one had built in chain guard too

I'm thinking of gaffer taping the hole, see what difference it makes then maybe look for one that I like the look of

Jap4 hugger arrived and fitted today! :woot: Looks great, is really light (200g) all the holes lined up neatly (I added washers just in case) and it has the cut out for the brake cable to slip under. It's also significantly longer than the original so I have high hopes on the muck reduction capacity" For someone who didn't want the chain cover and wasn't fussed about carbon fibre either, I've got to say this is pretty fab :joyous:

Hugger 1.jpg

Hugger 2.jpg

Hugger 3.jpg

I'm not a fan of combined hugger and guard but that looks decent, and an attractive weave..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I can happily confirm that it makes a significant difference to the amount of muck getting through the rear shock :purplebananna:

I was going to take a pic showing the comparison between the dirt on the shock and the rest of the bike but didn't want to upset all the neat-freaks ... :devilish:

Back