Lovely job spoiled !

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Almost had this in the bag !.. with a bit of guidance and 3M pads from Budgie, got the prep sorted, paint went on a treat, lacquered it earlier and the can must have got a bit excited...lovely spurt right on front !.. damn it..

I'll get some compound on it and polish it out..looks worse in the pics.
e2e03e4757d44bcedb562f09d10a4278.jpg
eddb447ac7bcd6f1badc0bd3e4b0e5df.jpg
6bee500c35dacf2bfe9022e1b051a4c8.jpg
39b9b2ccca911d515489fbc983d16ea4.jpg
1bf4febed5e1bd96010a9743979eb60d.jpg
6eae33cd7cdc6a8a7c57c27bae116b0b.jpg
41c741e8ebd064777852887be2ce6aae.jpg
65146485cd1b1ca8993bffc300d58d3f.jpg
b811caea133026e912e5ca8d66a7216d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

If they are done with a rattle can they look pretty damn good! Even with the sponge :). I have just bought some track fairings, do you have any advice on preparing them before paint?

If they are done with a rattle can they look pretty damn good! Even with the sponge :). I have just bought some track fairings, do you have any advice on preparing them before paint?
Ditto, good job there! Any advice for rattle canning rusty metal appreciated. I?m doing some random parts from a late 70?s suzuki and it?s not going well...
So far I?ve tried:
Wet and dry to remove surface rust, blow over with gloss black. Result=garbage. Huge pin holes.
Wet and dry again, matching primer, blow over. Result=garbage. More pin holes/craters
Wet and dry AGAIN, rust converter all over, primer. Result=cracking.
I?m tempted to reach for the hammerite and a brush, but I?d rather get it right and understand how to do it as I?ve got loads of other parts needing the same treatment. It has to be DIY, I?ve already spent enough/too much on this project..

Ditto, good job there! Any advice for rattle canning rusty metal appreciated. I?m doing some random parts from a late 70?s suzuki and it?s not going well...
So far I?ve tried:
Wet and dry to remove surface rust, blow over with gloss black. Result=garbage. Huge pin holes.
Wet and dry again, matching primer, blow over. Result=garbage. More pin holes/craters

Wet and dry AGAIN, rust converter all over, primer. Result=cracking.
I?m tempted to reach for the hammerite and a brush, but I?d rather get it right and understand how to do it as I?ve got loads of other parts needing the same treatment. It has to be DIY, I?ve already spent enough/too much on this project..
Oh and every attempt has had a rub down before spraying with a very expensive wet wipe from Halfords for paint prep, that did nothing it seems.

Gav, I used those 3M pads, they come in boxes of 12 I think, use the black one to rub them down and take off all the lacquer, it will come off quite easily and leave a dull sheen, paint goes straight on, no undercoat needed.

You need to degrease the panels, I used about 4 of those small spec wipes you buy in the shops which worked great, but on larger panels I'd buy some isopropyl alcohol and wipe them down with a cloth..

If you do that the finish will be good. I done some bodywork in the past when I was on the tools, painting is easy it's the prep that takes time, invest in that and you won't go far wrong.

Budgies the man if you want a proper painters advice.

Oh and every attempt has had a rub down before spraying with a very expensive wet wipe from Halfords for paint prep, that did nothing it seems.
Lol, sounds a nightmare !.. I'd ask Budgie on that one, rust is a bugger, you might need to use some stopper/filler of some sort..

Gav, I used those 3M pads, they come in boxes of 12 I think, use the black one to rub them down and take off all the lacquer, it will come off quite easily and leave a dull sheen, paint goes straight on, no undercoat needed.

You need to degrease the panels, I used about 4 of those small spec wipes you buy in the shops which worked great, but on larger panels I'd buy some isopropyl alcohol and wipe them down with a cloth..

If you do that the finish will be good. I done some bodywork in the past when I was on the tools, painting is easy it's the prep that takes time, invest in that and you won't go far wrong.

Budgies the man if you want a proper painters advice.

Awesome mate, thanks for the advice! They're CRC fairings so I'd assume they are lacquered. I know the 3M pads you mean, i will grab some off Amazon.

I actually have a bit cutting to do as i am leaving my lights (Gen 4). It could go horribly wrong or work well. I spoke to Alpha racing and they said they just cut their fairings and leave the stock lights in for the EWC bikes. So that is my plan.

All done, two coats lacquer flattened with Nielsen F10 compound and finished with their beeswax spray polish.... even ironed out the Clinton-esque blast off with some F2 Coarse compound..

1d63f2a2294d758275821d3e9eb6f38c.jpg
9f9d07a23d41dbddf50cfeb71e0c747f.jpg
3f6e9b25ed3be3a8db6ec0431070d38b.jpg
ba8684f411a8a49452467c9d8a11116f.jpg

Last edited:
Back