How much oil, and what gearing do I need?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2evn

Reaction score
Just about to do my first service on my gen 2 s1000rr. I'm going to use 5w 40 oil, but can someone tell me how much I need to put in? And does anyone know what gearing is standard on the bike? Or does anyone else have some suggestion on what gearing to go for? Bike is just used for track purposes, so looking for a good setup. And what brake pads are people running for track, and what fluid?

Cheers

Sorry for all the newb questions, just wanna get it right.

Oil is about 3.5l but you better look into at engine oil screen and fill out at half between the red lines.

Standard gearing is 17/45 525 chain

measure what yo drop out,then replace with same amount,leave for an hour or so,let it settle then check sight glass and top up if needed.

but as above appeox 3-3.5l

measure what yo drop out,then replace with same amount,leave for an hour or so,let it settle then check sight glass and top up if needed.

but as above appeox 3-3.5l
This...

On the pads, subjective...Depends how much you want to drop on a set.

90 quid will get you a set of Brembo RC which I found to be very good track pads.. Brembo fluid.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thats great mate thank you, I thought it was about 3.5l but just wanted to check. Can see by your pic that you ride track, do you keep standard gearing?

Oil is about 3.5l but you better look into at engine oil screen and fill out at half between the red lines.

Standard gearing is 17/45 525 chain

Thats great mate thank you, I thought it was about 3.5l but just wanted to check. Can see by your pic that you ride track, do you keep standard gearing?

This...

On the pads, subjective...Depends how much you want to drop on a set.

90 quid will get you a set of Brembo RC which I found to be very good track pads.. Brembo fluid.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
\

Thanks bud, these are the pads im going to get I think.

I use 16/43 520 / 120 mainly.

Cadwell might be 16/45 or so.

Stick a 16 on the front.
Using a 43 rear means it's long geared and you can basically use 2nd-4th for 99% of a lap, reducing gear changes and effort, it also calms the front down because the wheelbase is longer and the gearing higher. This is what the race teams use most of the time.
The alternative is a 46 rear if you want to do more changes and feel a bit more zip in the acceleration zones/have more gears to use in deceleration. This will likely end up with the shortest wheelbase for a 120 chain so can also positively impact how easily the bike turns.

Stick a 16 on the front.
Using a 43 rear means it's long geared and you can basically use 2nd-4th for 99% of a lap, reducing gear changes and effort, it also calms the front down because the wheelbase is longer and the gearing higher. This is what the race teams use most of the time.
The alternative is a 46 rear if you want to do more changes and feel a bit more zip in the acceleration zones/have more gears to use in deceleration. This will likely end up with the shortest wheelbase for a 120 chain so can also positively impact how easily the bike turns.

Thats interesting bud, suppose it would be more universal aswel?

Back