front forks knocking gen4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoc

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
bloody hell i went out on sun for a ride on the gen4 ,and started hearing the forks make a knocking sound,and the bike feeling strange on the front ,i used to get 49s lean now 35s it feels like the front wants to wash out,giving me no confidence in the front which i thought was the k3s but now im thinking its the forks and the k3s,whats the score with the dealers,do they recognze the problem,or say its normal sir,

My bikes at the dealer getting this investigated currently, it?s been there for 3 weeks. They fitted the last pair of forks that were in stock to a bike they have there for the same issue and whilst it initially fixed the noise within a hundred miles the noise was back and is under further investigation.
I?m told by Bmw the noise doesn?t effect the handling of the bike but I agree with you my front end went very weird, unpredictable and very unnerving. Was even told I can have the bike back and keep riding until more stock is available and then they try and fix it but I?ve left my bike there as I think it isn?t handling correctly.

My bike is due to go in for a service in a couple of weeks plus I've asked them to check the forks as the front end rattles at low speed. I wanted to get the summer out of it before I lost the bike for a while. BMW may say its normal or its a characteristic of the bike - nothing to worry about. This might be OK for me as long as I don't ride it slowly anywhere (on gravel, which is when the rattle is at its worst) but if I come to sell the bike privately and the buyer wants a test ride he'll hand it straight back saying the front end is knackered!

I got the "it's a characteristic of the bike" nonsense. When I told my dealer that "if that were true, why don't they all do it", they looked at each other sheepishly and shrugged their shoulders.

cheers guys,ill give the dealer a bell tomorrow,to try and book it in,any one got any info on the dealers in the SW i used to go to CWs in Dorchester but they no longer do BMW,as far as i know theres only OCEAN,PLYMOUTH, or DICK LOVETT at BRISTOL, and dont know if they are any good,i got the bike from Barhnstomers,but its 130miles away,and my arse can not take 260mil round trip:frown-new:

What was the final outcome?

They told me to get back in touch later on, since they were investigating the issue on BMW's behalf on another customer's bike (someone on this forum actually). They'd changed internals, that didn't fix it, so BMW sent replacement forks and they are being fitted now. If that fixes it, then I guess they'll let me book mine in for new ones.

They told me to get back in touch later on, since they were investigating the issue on BMW's behalf on another customer's bike (someone on this forum actually). They'd changed internals, that didn't fix it, so BMW sent replacement forks and they are being fitted now. If that fixes it, then I guess they'll let me book mine in for new ones.
Hi HertsTif
Is it possible you could pm me I don?t seem to be able to send pms from my phone.
Thanks
Kev.

up date i took my bike to ocean plymouth yesterday,for the fork issues,and a knocking cominig from the clutch when you pull the clutch in they are going to take the matter up with bmw,i left the bike there,hopefully bmw will give the go ahead for new forks,and sort the clutch out ,they think its the thrust bearing

Back