K and N oil filters with easy off Nut

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Guys, have any of you heard of any bona-fide issues with these filters blowing out where the nut is... ive just installed one on my ZX as I had a nightmare getting a std 3 month old Hi-Lo filter off, I've fitted maybe 3 certainly 2 on various bikes from memory with zero problems, couple of guys on the ZX Forum are vehement that they are bad news, with one guy stating they are/were banned from circuits in the U.S ?... he did say years ago... need to qualify this I think....

I've never heard of any problems thats not to say a problem(s) doesn't exist, hard to believe a leading player in vehicle filtration would produce a substandard product or one that has/had issues which haven't been rectified ?..

Comments welcome..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Iv personally seen them start to spray oil after being on for months. Didn't look anyway corroded just went from perfect to spraying oil in space if a few miles

I've been using K&N KN-160 with a lock-wire nut for 2 years on Gen3 bike with no issues whatsoever. I change them every 3-4 trackdays tho.

Wasn't it the case that people were using the nut to tighten the filter up where in reality it just needs to be hand tight and the over tightening was splitting the seam?
mut

Wasn't it the case that people were using the nut to tighten the filter up where in reality it just needs to be hand tight and the over tightening was splitting the seam?
mut
Good point, there was talk of that too..

I had a 01 cbr before my gen 3 for about 4years, I changed my KN filter regularly, before every TD and before/after winter. Never had any issues in 4 years. But I do think there was a recall on some of them.

Could be the classic urban myth development :)

These tales were doing the rounds on the Aprilia forums a few years ago - a couple of 'user error' incidents from overtightening the filter using the holding nut and a batch of recalled filters (completely unrelated story) from years before. All the stories were third party and referenced US issues, with the exception of pointing to an unidentified user issue in Eire.

Despite emailing K and N around 5 days ago looking for a comment from them directly there has been no reply..

Aw well... I've no problems anyhow...

My mate used one and it cracked and sprayed oil all over his rear wheel whilst on track.
I genuinely can't think of any good reason to not just use a manufacturer standard filter on any bike?! Trying to save a few pence on something so important is madness to me!

For me it's ease of obtaining aftermarket... im 25 miles from a dealer... I paid 13 quid next day delivery for my K and N, OE filter is priced similarly so money doesn't feature in my deision making.

I'm sure the dealer would post them out for you mate, just order a couple at a time.

Seeing my mates first hand and knowing there are plenty of issues with them all over the internet I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole personally!

Your right on that point, now I know I'm going to use my BM on track I'll buy in bulk along with oil.

Your right on that point, now I know I'm going to use my BM on track I'll buy in bulk along with oil.

It's anecdotal. Some random guy had a leak somewhere while 10k other people are okay

Back