K3?s

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCB

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Well today?s run was seriously cut short, big dirty screw in ma rear tyre 20 miles in, recovered to motorrad and a nice new shiney pair of M9rr will be fitted, they are more than welcome to burn the K3?s as I should have done when I got the bike.
great service as always from Motorrad Glasgow gave me a 900 xr sport to get home with.

Daz

Sorry to hear of the puncture, but great choice going for the M9RR?s, I?m sure you?ll be very pleased indeed [emoji41]

What did you think of the 900 XR?

Sorry to hear of the puncture, but great choice going for the M9RR?s, I?m sure you?ll be very pleased indeed [emoji41]

What did you think of the 900 XR?

its ok for what it is, I am not a fan of sit up and beg bikes, I am opposite to most, sit up and beg hurts the bottom of my back so I steer clear.
as for the wee 2 banger xr it is a decent bike for the market it is aimed at, falls in nicely and feels light if not a wee bit top heavy. A bit under powered but only because we are spoiled with s1000rr power.

Daz

Last edited:
Had a nail in my rear last week, however luckily it went in sideways and I was able to remove it as it hadn?t penetrated through the carcass.

Had a nail in my rear last week, however luckily it went in sideways and I was able to remove it as it hadn?t penetrated through the carcass.
I wasnt that lucky

Attachments

• 26C53120-8D46-4197-953A-35EF83E78624.jpeg
    26C53120-8D46-4197-953A-35EF83E78624.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
You can fix that with a mushroom plug. They are pretty durable.
I agree, plug would fix the puncture, I won?t as I will and am replacing them, I didn?t like the k3?s on the gen 3, like them less on the 4, it?s a personal opinion but they give no feel, I like to at least be able to guess what the tyres are doing under me, don?t get that with k3?s, don?t like the way the front feels like it wants to tuck either. And last but not least they are horrendous in the wet and I live in Scotland

Daz

I agree, plug would fix the puncture, I won?t as I will and am replacing them, I didn?t like the k3?s on the gen 3, like them less on the 4, it?s a personal opinion but they give no feel, I like to at least be able to guess what the tyres are doing under me, don?t get that with k3?s, don?t like the way the front feels like it wants to tuck either. And last but not least they are horrendous in the wet and I live in Scotland

Daz

this is exactly how i feel about the k3's too. same on the gen 3, but feel worse on the gen 4. i think the lightness of the gen 4 with the carbon wheels too just make them too twitchy for the roads. the M9's seem to slow the turn in slightly so makes it feel more stable.

Daz

I second all that. I just did not get on with them on the Gen4 but didn't actually realise it was the tyre until I swapped them out. On the K3s it just felt like the front was going to tuck, it felt like the front was pattering and about to let go. This was all road miles.

Glad I am not alone with the k3?s, there are plenty who like them and fair play to them if they work they work, for me not so much. Tyres are a personal thing what works for one person doesn?t necessarily work for another.

Daz

I picked up a puncture whilst out on Thursday. Less than 400 miles covered (at the time) on my new bike - needed a to order a new tyre which I got fitted on Friday during the first service

It's hard to believe I'm riding the same tyres that you're describing. Maybe the front end tucking feeling you're getting is because they are a very quick turning tyre. The s21's I have just replaced had a relatively flat profile, the rear looked wide and could have passed for a 200 section whereas the K3's have a visibly pointy profile, the rear looks narrow and doesn't even look like a 190, the way the bike turns in compared to the s21's feels incredible in my opinion . The grip in the dry is awesome and you'd have to be doing something ridiculous to lose traction on the road , but obviously in the wet they will be poor as that's not what they're designed for. Fair enough if you want something more suited to wet roads but I only tend to ride in the dry so K3?s suit me.
To be honest looking at your rear tyre it doesn't look like it's had much use that's going to put the K3's to any sort of test.

Personally I have always liked the quick turning of the K3?s but have heard a few people over the years complain of a nervous feeling/twitchy front end and I think with the carbon wheels this can make it feel worse.

I think once it gets in your mind that you don?t like a tyre your better of changing to something else.

I?ve ran M7RR?s on my blade since they came out, mostly due to going abroad every year and needing a tire that could do miles and cope with different weather conditions.
Last year a friend tried them and absolutely hated them, Complained of no grip yet I?ve done trackdays and lots of laps at the Nurburgring.

No problems with the K3?s here for fast road riding or the recent track day at Donington. However, when they need replacing I?ll change over to Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2?s or Metzeler M9RR?s, given most people say they have transformed the bike, so my thinking is it can only be better and therefore nothing to lose. :)

It's hard to believe I'm riding the same tyres that you're describing. Maybe the front end tucking feeling you're getting is because they are a very quick turning tyre. The s21's I have just replaced had a relatively flat profile, the rear looked wide and could have passed for a 200 section whereas the K3's have a visibly pointy profile, the rear looks narrow and doesn't even look like a 190, the way the bike turns in compared to the s21's feels incredible in my opinion . The grip in the dry is awesome and you'd have to be doing something ridiculous to lose traction on the road , but obviously in the wet they will be poor as that's not what they're designed for. Fair enough if you want something more suited to wet roads but I only tend to ride in the dry so K3?s suit me.
To be honest looking at your rear tyre it doesn't look like it's had much use that's going to put the K3's to any sort of test.

I personally agree with your comments - I found the K3 to be a great tyre both on road and track - I don't run them any where near the OEM recommended pressures on the road and I have great grip and feel. I tried a set of M7RR last year and the front end felt terrible compared to the K3's. I do think that the Supercorsa / K3 type tyres need to be ridden hard to get the best of them - after all, that's what they are designed for - not really a general road based tyre.

As has been said previously - it all comes down to personal preference and what suits your riding style - the internet can also be bad for this as once you've read something it can be difficult to get it out your head - no one size fits all as they say :)

Back