Spa - Bikerdayz

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
3 days at spa. So far 2 were fantastic, summer weather, blue sky and 50C track.

a0c464bb5d0c5ccb3aaa7717c1adaf33.jpg
6b47ee4a59593c078b11171aeb79c61a.jpg
8e14ae3f15858f9b2dc04b3173fe0dc8.jpg
65b1d166397d87a2130572f085e40df4.jpg
ba28e56767d411f7d8220455a481a746.jpg

Very cool, glad to hear you?re having a great time!

Shall look forward to hearing what you think of the track in due course [emoji41]

Last edited:
Very cool, glad to hear you?re having a great time!

Shall look forward to hearing what you think of the track in due course [emoji41]
The track is fantastic, especially coupled with warm cloud-free weather. It's nicely tucked away in the hills surrounded by forest. Surroundings are unreal, especially in fall.

Spa is long but very fluid, it's very fast. Normally they do 1x20mins, 4x25 sessions here allowing to do 8 laps or so.

La Rouge, Double Gauche (left) are amazing corners.

Funny I was there too... Yep, fabulous weather, stupidly fast circuit and sadly some serious injuries. In the first group, first session of the first day, a guy went down at Blanchimont and is in intensive care. Chatting to the circuit director over a beer, on the circuit cameras it looked like mechanical wheel failure. It?s hard to tell by what?s left of the bike but the rear carbon wheel had no spokes. I was shocked when he said that they call the air ambulance every week to bike trackdays. It?s an amazing complex and they want MotoGP and WSB there inside 5 years. They're making huge changes to comply.

I nearly ended up in hospital the second afternoon, when coming out of the fast right hander before Blanchimont, something come off the bike in front and suddenly I was immersed in an explosion of chaos and confusion. Lock to lock, then incredible vibration... the object had blown out my rear tyre instantly. Took till Blanchimont to stop. The marshal came running over with a big smile and a thumbs up and offered me a cigarette and lighter. I seems to have impressed him. You have to love the French (well French Belgiums). Top few days though.... Certainly worth going. Buck list along with Mugello, Monza ,Imola and Portimao.

Attachments

• FAEE943A-E322-499A-9AB8-5BCC73AF086A.jpeg
    FAEE943A-E322-499A-9AB8-5BCC73AF086A.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 25
  • ADC2C7B9-EC47-48B1-9D33-9A18E7217271.jpeg
    ADC2C7B9-EC47-48B1-9D33-9A18E7217271.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 24
  • FE902058-26F8-470A-892F-7FB882CA4895.jpeg
    FE902058-26F8-470A-892F-7FB882CA4895.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 99347600-B96C-474A-A2BA-F4640D902A14.jpeg
    99347600-B96C-474A-A2BA-F4640D902A14.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
We may have shared a garage? 22? I may have helped you with your rear stand a couple of times? J
I remember you, yes. I saw you stayed in for few sessions, didn't know that this happened to you.

It looks like a screw to me right?

Btw, that poor V4R fella who crashed in second cold session on first day, by looking at his front it seemed like he lost a front. I didn't see his rear tho..

ce1296204f3713f59a2f69c6ffc8ac8f.jpg

It?s an amazing complex and they want MotoGP and WSB there inside 5 years. They're making huge changes to comply.

The complex and facilities are amazing no doubt, but the quality of tarmac is deteriorating and they do nothing about it.

This is second year I'm going there and the track now developed 2 more dips in addition to 3rd that has been there before.

There is a big bump on acceleration to La Rouge and on in T8 right at the moment when you are tipping in.
And old one in T9 is still there.

Small world... your a tall lad! :unconscious: If you zoom into the Tyre damage you can see the light coming through. It was off the rim at that point. Not sure what it was that caused by, I just saw something come off the bike in front. I was very lucky, I just stood up on the pegs and let the bike wag its tail underneath me. Yep, there wasn?t much left of that V4 Ducati. He was 50/50 when I left Sunday. My thoughts are with him...

Yep, it?s the good old F1 cars that just ripple up the tarmac especially into the bus stop. Yep, turn 9 has a massive dip which upsets the bike if your slightly wide. Caught me out the first lap. Still a proper old style track. Loved it

Last edited:
Small world... your a tall lad! :unconscious: If you zoom into the Tyre damage you can see the light coming through. It was off the rim at that point. Not sure what it was that caused by, I just saw something come off the bike in front. I was very lucky, I just stood up on the pegs and let the bike wag its tail underneath me. Yep, there wasn?t much left of that V4 Ducati. He was 50/50 when I left Sunday. My thoughts are with him...

Does V4R come with carbon wheels ? I don't think so. As I understand the crash happened in Double Gauche (T10/11), unless someone bumped into him from behind hard to imagine how can this be a wheel damage.

This looks like a screw to me? Difficult to say as photo is small.
ecd75b62fe2df6fbd46e5e2fcb50f47d.jpg

This one did, not sure what brand. He went down at the first left hander of Blanchimont (between 17 & 18) i.e the really fast left hander before the bus stop that leads onto the start/finish straight. I came round there as the red flag went out. He was lying motionless. The wheel failure was a comment from chatting to the circuit director from what he?s seen on the circuit camera. Perfect on line then slam, he?s was cartwheeling into the wall and got hit by the bike on the way out. He said it was definitely a mechanical failure, the wheel comment was from what he saw on the video. We may never know. He may have picked up a puncture like me and the sudden deflation caused the crash. I don?t think we?ll ever know. You?re whole life can change in a fraction of a second. I?ve been there....

This one did, not sure what brand. He went down at the first left hander of Blanchimont (between 17 & 18) i.e the really fast left hander before the bus stop that leads onto the start/finish straight. I came round there as the red flag went out. He was lying motionless. The wheel failure was a comment from chatting to the circuit director from what he?s seen on the circuit camera. Perfect on line then slam, he?s was cartwheeling into the wall and got hit by the bike on the way out. He said it was definitely a mechanical failure, the wheel comment was from what he saw on the video. We may never know. He may have picked up a puncture like me and the sudden deflation caused the crash. I don?t think we?ll ever know. You?re whole life can change in a fraction of a second. I?ve been there....

Oh, I thought he went down in T10/11 as people were keep saying Double Left which is Double Gauche.

I initially thought T17/18 myself - but then we were chatting with a mate and T17/18 are pretty much a straight-line, can't imagine how you can go down there. But mechanical failure is a good explanation...

It all makes sense now.

Back