m9rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The traction control parameters are set for a 200 tyre. If you change the tyres size you need to let the bike know otherwise your traction control wont work correctly. That could mean it kicks in early, or worse, kicks in late.

My bike came with a 190 rear? Set of Bridgestone S22's

My bike came with a 190 rear? Set of Bridgestone S22's

Cast wheels come with 190 tyres.
Forged Rims / Carbon's come with 200's.

The radius/profile is actually the important things for the TC. The height of the tyre for a given angle. With an unlocked ECU and an RCK3 you can set the radius to optimise the TC.

Recently changed from K3's to M9's. Would say the M9's are more balanced on street, where the K3's had a more agressive turn in. Personally I prefer the M9's on the street, but would choose K3's if it was track only or mainly a track bike.

K3?s are in my opinion not worth melting down, absolute garbage, wouldnae make a gid bin bag out them

Daz
I'm very interested to hear what you think is so bad about the K3's and what tyre you prefer??

I have recently changed from supercorsa to DRC2 and I found that under heavy braking the front tyres seem to compress too much being a little unstable, now is that the tyre or suspension I am not sure. As for rear no issue excellent grip. Just one other thing the tyres had done only about 50 miles before used on the track.

I have recently changed from supercorsa to DRC2 and I found that under heavy braking the front tyres seem to compress too much being a little unstable, now is that the tyre or suspension I am not sure. As for rear no issue excellent grip. Just one other thing the tyres had done only about 50 miles before used on the track.
Wrong suspension setup or geometry unfortunately.

The golden rule of motorbike suspension - tyre is never part of it.

Sorry to bring a thread back up, I'm looking at replacing my tyres soon, I've got the m7rrs on mine and they're 190 on the rear, is the m9 a better replacement for this? also where is the best place to get them from please?

Ste

The m9 is just the new compound that replaces the discontuinued m7. The marketing will tell you they are 'better', I haven't noticed much difference but been very happy with them both. 190 means you have standard cast rims, so that's the standard size. I'd definitely go for the M9 as any M7s you see are probably going cheap because they've been sitting around for a while.

As for where to buy them... you'll see FWR mentioned a lot in the forum, they're always competitive. I live close enough to them that I get them fitted there but they will send them to you. I'd compare against the likes of sports bike shop, demon tweeks etc though.

Cheers for the reply rick, my sport has the m7 fitted from new, they need changing soon so just looking about for a good replacement. Ive a track day planned for June as well for the first time so just want a good all round tyre

The M7 sounds odd as the standard fitment on a brand new bike. They usually come with K3/s21, something like that, both of which are in a different class of tyre from the Ms (My RR came with K3s, my R with s20). I didn't think I was good enough for K3s at the time. They don't last long enough on the road. The m9 is definitely a very good compromise, it's great in cold and wet conditions on the road and perfectly capable on track, unless you are very fast. I can get over 4000 miles out of a rear m with a few track days thrown in couldn't even manage half of that on a K3.

Last edited:
I have the M9?s on mine was always going to change to the M9rr from the K3?s, didn?t get on with the k3?s and puncture made me change earlier than I was intending to, not had a chance to rate them yet as was tail end of last season they went on, but I liked the m7? when I had them on the gen 3.
as for best place to get them, I found the cheapest place purchase including fitting was believe it or not BMW, I couldn?t get close to their price buying online or anywhere else. That coupled with wanting them fitted at BMW due to the carbon wheels made sense.

Daz

Wow, OK. I suppose there have been many threads in this forum about the variance in delivery tyres over the years, hadnt picked up on m7s before. manufacturers seem to take whatever is cheap/available at the time, from what I can remember. My R arrived 6 weeks ago with s20s, I was disappointed by such an old model of tyre, expected 21/22s if they were Bridgestone. I don't plan to take it on track so I'm sure it'll be ok, and I plan to put stickier tyres on the RR for track use from now on.

I assume your new msport had something sportier r25sti? I can maybe understand other RR models having m7s on them in 2020 as Metzler try to get rid of old stock, not sure why that would have happened in 2017 though...

Wow, OK. I suppose there have been many threads in this forum about the variance in delivery tyres over the years, hadnt picked up on m7s before. manufacturers seem to take whatever is cheap/available at the time, from what I can remember. My R arrived 6 weeks ago with s20s, I was disappointed by such an old model of tyre, expected 21/22s if they were Bridgestone. I don't plan to take it on track so I'm sure it'll be ok, and I plan to put stickier tyres on the RR for track use from now on.

I assume your new msport had something sportier r25sti? I can maybe understand other RR models having m7s on them in 2020 as Metzler try to get rid of old stock, not sure why that would have happened in 2017 though...

my first 2020 came on k3's and the latest one on Michelin power rs, my missis grey sport also on power rs. my 17 plate also had forged wheels and still m7's, i wasnt moaning though i quite like them for the roads i ride. even have a new set sat in garage ready.lol

Last edited:
Back