Too quiet !!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikeracer1098

Reaction score
The S1000RR is the first bike that?s I?ve owned for years with a std exhaust system.

Last year was going to buy one and fit a full Akro system but bought a HP4 Race instead.

A bit unexpected I bough a new S1000RR a few weeks ago (was planning on waiting until next spring) and was possible planning on fitting a full system next year. However whilst out riding today had 2 school kids walk out onto the road in front of me, also conscious of the fact that cars waiting to pull out of junctions can hear the bike approaching as it?s too quiet unless your above 10,000RPM etc

Anyonw else thinking the same.

May have to fit a full system sooner rather than later!!

Also missing the soundtrack of the Aorilia RSV4 with full Akro Sysrem

Last edited:
"Anyone else thinking the same?" - Nope. Mine is standard and I like the fact its quite. Also if you think a loud pipe will stop traffic pulling out in front of you you're heading for a world of pain. Plus - I've just returned from Austria and there are plenty of signs on passes specifically banning bikes over 95db. Quite a few towns actually had active signs as you left with a picture of a child with their fingers stuck in their ears and if you went past full boar it lit up red or stayed green if you went past quietly.
Race pipes have their place - but it's not on the road. I've had a rant about loud pipes previously, I guess this is another one!

Just as an aside, I had the tail pipe off my bike previously (the standard one) and its stamped 94db. Is that what the standard system is rated at on the Gen 4 ?

"Anyone else thinking the same?" - Nope. Mine is standard and I like the fact its quite. Also if you think a loud pipe will stop traffic pulling out in front of you you're heading for a world of pain. Plus - I've just returned from Austria and there are plenty of signs on passes specifically banning bikes over 95db. Quite a few towns actually had active signs as you left with a picture of a child with their fingers stuck in their ears and if you went past full boar it lit up red or stayed green if you went past quietly.
Race pipes have their place - but it's not on the road. I've had a rant about loud pipes previously, I guess this is another one!

Sorry but totally disagree with you.

Had kids run out in front of me years ago with a std exhaust, however never happened with a full system as others are fully aware of your presence.

Last few years apart from gaining bhp and reducing weight for track use, I am of the belief that the additional noise offers additional safety on the road as other road users can hear you as well as see you on the road approaching etc

A lot of time other road users don?t concentrate on their driving and don?t look out for cyclist and motorcyclist, however having a noisy exhaust certainly makes them aware of your presence and can prevent accidents and collisions with other road users.

Thats my thought and beliefs on it.

I also appreciate that your views and thoughts on this may be different.

Last edited:
After the initial startup my bike was quiet with the standard exhaust. Full system made a big difference. Not convinced it would make another road user pay attention (Because there are some really stupid people around) but certainly it?s a case of every little helps with bike safety on public roads.

I'm not into too loud exhausts personally, on both cars and bikes. As long as it sounds purposeful with some character then that's good for me. I've recently put an Akra Carbon end can on mine and it made a slight difference which is perfect for me.

Sorry but totally disagree with you.

Had kids run out in front of me years ago with a std exhaust, however never happened with a full system as others are fully aware of your presence.

Last few years apart from gaining bhp and reducing weight for track use, I am of the belief that the additional noise offers additional safety on the road as other road users can hear you as well as see you on the road approaching etc

A lot of time other road users don?t concentrate on their driving and don?t look out for cyclist and motorcyclist, however having a noisy exhaust certainly makes them aware of your presence and can prevent accidents and collisions with other road users.

Thats my thought and beliefs on it.

I also appreciate that your views and thoughts on this may be different.

That's mental.

Yes loud exhaust people will hear you coming, but saying you need it to be safe suggests you ride carelessly.

I only do very early morning rides on the road and the last thing I want is a loud exhaust.

That's mental.

Yes loud exhaust people will hear you coming, but saying you need it to be safe suggests you ride carelessly.

I don?t think he was implying that loud pipes are ?needed? to be safe on the road, merely that when travelling at slow speeds people will be more aware of your presence.
Obviously good observation and RoadCraft is first and foremost, but I do fully agree with the mantra that not everyone is perfect so every little helps.
Furthermore, this issue of noise actually prompted regulation changes for electric cars, as they initially made no noise at slow speed and now have to by law produce a sound at slow speed, in the name of road safety. So personally I do feel there is a legitimate road safety point for full systems.

That being said, I personally don?t like very loud exhausts on public roads, as I find it a bit anti-social. There is also the issue of attracting unwanted attention from the Police, particularly if they can hear you coming from literally miles away lol.

In my opinion, full systems, with long silencers and a baffle fitted, strike a nice balance between character and civility.

But it is of course all personal preference [emoji846]

But it is of course all personal preference [emoji846]

And that's it.

I like my bike louder than stock but not full race volume but it's my preference. Commuting (especially in cities) means that you are generally more noticeable in heavy traffic but again, not all agree. Loud cans tend to be as universal in taste as tyre choices :)

I'm not into too loud exhausts personally, on both cars and bikes. As long as it sounds purposeful with some character then that's good for me. I've recently put an Akra Carbon end can on mine and it made a slight difference which is perfect for me.

I'm with Schuey all the way, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by antagonizing non motorcycling folks. Presence helps obscene noise annoys.

Noise from illegal pipes is already getting the headlines for all the wrong reasons. If we carry on with them we are going to end up (all of us) being penalised in some way - bikes specifically. I've already seen what the Austrians and Germans are doing to combat what they see as anti social behaviour. I love everything to do with bikes - an RSV4 or R1, with a race pipe, on full bore is a sound that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I think it sounds bloody glorious - but my neighbour wont.

I understand the need for bikes to get all the help they can while we are out there but claiming an illegal pipe is a safety feature is a bit of a reach.

The horn on a car or bike is set at a specific pitch and tone to be annoying i.e. it gets peoples attention. Pip your horn at someone and see what their reaction is. Always handy passing schools.

I went with a full Yoshi system. They have a long can. The coke can type are too loud IMO.

Although the pops and bangs and flames get more epic

I do get totally p**sed with loud pipes, more often than not from people on single 125?s with absolutely no silencer at all! The roads around my area are busy, and the ridiculous noise at all times of night is very anti-social. There are the occasional screaming IL4?s, and that lovely cross plane bark from the R1?s etc that stand out, but even so, fk off at 1am and stop waking me up! I personally see no reason to change ANYTHING from std. Noise is important to get some feedback about where the bike is within its rev range, but the std bike and the induction noise gives that in spades. I think that if you feel that you need a loud pipe to be safe, you?re fooling yourself. Nobody cares about anyone else out there, you have to assume that everyone is out to bump you off. Defensive riding is the only way to go imo, shame, but there you go. It also pi**ses me off when people cut out the cat and stick 2 fingers up to the spirit of the intended emission regulations. I can see that working if you have no ??? and your original exhaust is not working, but from new/functioning fine?
I found out the other day that there is an ?eco? box to be ticked if you take the ROSPA test, it?s all about the gear you?re in etc. But not to do with the exhaust!
Having said that, I can see a mainly track bike that is used on the road will need some allowance, but ride accordingly!
Still love that sound on the track though, bring it on!

Back