Newbie question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yogi Bear

Reaction score
Hi

I have started getting comfortable with the S1000RR but i noticed there is a rev limiter on set at around 9k.I haven't noticed it before as i usually shift up before 8k

Can i turn this off ? i have not set any limiter in the settings. Its a 2017 S1000RR sport. I bought it from a BMW dealer with 1 owner.

Its probably something i can remove in the settings. Mileage is 7000

Is it a light blinking (big white one) or actually limited?

If it's the former the light activation RPM is set in the dash setup. See: Manual.
If it's the latter the dealer never took the factory limiter off and need to do so.. See: Dealer

Just spoke to the BMW dealer i bought the bike from and he said, it sounds indeed like the limiter is still on, so he is checking with the technicians if it is something they check when they resell the bikes.

Yogi, it seems the dealers did a bit of a 'Boo Boo' in not removing the limiter when they should have!

Get them to remove it pronto and you'll feel like you've just bought a new bike :D

Waiting for BMW to call me back it is a bit of a clanger if they forgot to remove the limiter. The first owner has had it for 2.5 years with out realising the limiter was still on

Called BMW again its booked in next Wednesday, ill have to sit around for an hour while they do it. How can it take an hour just to remove the limiter ??

Rev Limiter

Called BMW again its booked in next Wednesday, ill have to sit around for an hour while they do it. How can it take an hour just to remove the limiter ??

It will take 5 minutes to plug the bike in and remove the rev limiter. I had to take my Gen 4 back to BMW recently as they rather unhelpfully left the limiter on after completing the running-in service.

Wow - 2.5 years without previous owner getting above 9k rpm. Poor thing. But lucky you, you'll get a different bike when it's removed. Have fun!

And you know your shiny bike has never been thrashed and definitely never used on a track. Not that it matters to the bike but always nice to be the first to do such things on your bike

And you know your shiny bike has never been thrashed and definitely never used on a track. Not that it matters to the bike but always nice to be the first to do such things on your bike

That's the good thing to come out of this.
All i know is the owner before me had it on a 3 year pcp deal and took it back in for the 2020 model. He will be in for a surprise if they remember to take the limiter off his new bike. :superbike::superbike:

I booked the bike into my local BMW dealer for Thursday this week to effectively remove the limiter BMW did not remove on the first service , i had an email saying i have a 2 hour appointment which starts 15 mins after i check in.
So i called the BMW dealer in Long Eaton, where i bought the bike from to ask why would they want me there for 2 hours and will they charge me?
The reply was that is odd it only takes 5 mins unless they are doing a software update and may try to charge you 2 hours work.

He said it was a technicians fault the limiter was not removed and not mine so i need to argue this. Im waiting for a call back from my local BMW dealer

Can they charge me?
the bike still has over 18 months BMW warranty remaining.
any thoughts

Last edited:
Dealers do everything in units. 1 unit of time 1hr.
Doesn't matter if it takes 30 seconds or 59mins.

Its a shit deal if yours is quick.

I agree though they shouldn't charge for what was clearly missed.

- Alex

Update had the bike sorted by Cotswold BMW they did a free inspection as well as taking the limiter off.

I've just discovered these bikes are mental, absolutely nuts.

Back