S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New here, have only ever had triumphs since passing my test 12 years ago. Took an s1000rr for a test ride yesterday and it blew me away.

Thought i'd join up here to do some digging in the s1000rr and what it's like to live with.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Rob

I took out a 2016 and was extremely impressed. I thought it would be constantly trying to kill me but it?s nice and docile when you want it to be. The bike would be my only bike and be used for rural commute, general fun and Trackday?s. I?m currently on a speed triple so the power delivery is very different. I?m not sure if I?ll miss the low down grunt of the triple (it?s 3 teeth more on the rear sprocket as well).

I may give the single r a go as well to see if it has more low end?

Any advice would be great.

Tom

I'm not sure about the single R I've never ridden one. My RR was my second ever bike so basically all I've known.
They are very easy to live with day to day and the power is easily manageable.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome. Not sure there is much more torque on the lower revs on the single r, the engine is detuned a little so the headline bhp is lower. The gearing is shorter and it feels very nippy, not that the rr isn?t, just a different riding position and slightly different proposition. Nice naked to have, certainly up there with the best in terms of performance.

Welcome to the forum Tom!

As the guys have said, to my knowledge the R doesn?t really have more low down power as such, the extra grunt is really due to the shorter gearing, which you could easily do on the RR if you desired.

If you?re considering an R, it is worth bearing in mind that there is an all/new model due to be released in 2021.

The Gen 3 RR is a very versatile bike and does make for a proper road and track weapon.
However, having recently had an R on loan for a couple weeks, the R does have its advantages as a road bike. In my opinion the R is the better bike for slow speed use, as the handlebars give you loads of leverage, a better balance point at very slow speed and arguably better visibility over cars etc.
However, for me the biggest issue with the R is the total lack of wind protection, which in my experience gets frustrating when travelling at national speed limit speeds etc.
At higher speeds, the RR is the clear winner, as you have way more top end power and the aero benefit means in a straight line it isn?t even close. I also don?t think anything beats a sportbike in terms of front end confidence at high lean angles.

The whole S1000 range of bikes are fantastic machines. I think another test ride is in order to really get a feel for which particular model is the best fit for you [emoji846]

Best of luck with your test rides, and I hope you?re onboard your ideal S1000 in the near future [emoji41]

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

A sprocket change on the rr might give the effect in after. The thing I don?t like about the r is the riding position. My speed triple has clipons and it feels great. What I do get from having a naked bike is speed reduction due to no fairing. I?ll definitely need another test ride I reckon.

Insurance seems really high. 200 quid for the speed triple vs 750 for the rr. It?s not a deal breaker, just seems high.

The insurance may not be that bad if you contact BeMoto bike insurance, a vendor on this site.
Good service, good prices, usually anyway! Give ?em a ring and see what they say. I?ve been with BeMoto for three years now and always found them to be good to deal with and very competitive.

Insurance depends very largely where you live and garage the bike. Just this month I moved insurer from Carole Nash to BikeSure and even adding my daughter as an additional rider I saved ?120 and it reduced to ?240 excluding breakdown which BMW do. The underwriter is Axa, a company I am more than happy with.

Thanks everyone, i'll ring around some companies. I've just renewed my insurance so if i have to move its not the end of the world.

One thing i love about the s1000 range is the DDC. Is it reliable? I cant imagine it's cheap to fix?

Gen3 DDC is reliable. In fact I have not heard anything about it failing.

The Gen4 has a different system and supplier who have had some issues.

- Alex

Thanks everyone, i'll ring around some companies. I've just renewed my insurance so if i have to move its not the end of the world.

One thing i love about the s1000 range is the DDC. Is it reliable? I cant imagine it's cheap to fix?
It's reliable as Alex say, and if you ever need a fix you can just used forks cheap off ebay

Good to know the suspension is reliable. My current insurance company will only I sure need 3rd party f&t for an additional 200 a year with a max value of 8k. No option for fully comp unfortunately. Will look at other options.

Just need to decide if I can trust myself on a sports bike. Having no fairing can be a pain but at least it keeps the speed down on the road.

Back