M carbon wheels Vs M forged

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P0u1

Reaction score
Looking at buying a new bike got questions about wheels.

Is they a big weight difference between the carbon and forged?

How risky are tire changes on the carbons?

And most importantly have BMW addressed the carbon cracking problems?

Last edited:
BMW did not address any problems. In fact there was a rumor they will stop fitting them in new models.

I've been thinking about this question too - 2 weeks ago i did a back to back on my Gen 2 with standard wheels vs M Sport and carbon wheels, and the difference in front end feel in particular was quite something - made my bike feel like an elephant. However, I'm still thinking that a Sport with all the bells and whistles (inc forged wheels) might be a better option for me (or maybe I'll just do a wheel and suspension job on existing bike).

I'm not disagreeing with BBB but just want to clarify - our recently banned friend with the problem carbon wheels did seem to report that BMW had told him that they had done something about the carbon wheels last year. Is there any truth to that?

Looking at buying a new bike got questions about wheels.

2 people on this forum have had a cracked carbon rim. Not come across any other msport owners with this issue. Perhaps there was a batch issue early on but it?s certainly not a general issue. No idea if the problem was addressed other than to offer replacements under warranty. If there was a general problem it would be widespread like the caliper issue.

Wheels

No. The weight saving is really only significant when comparing them to OEM cast wheels.

There isn?t really a risk when changing tyres on carbon fibre wheels if you are using a reputable fitter with experience.

I have only heard of two examples of people having issues with the M Carbon wheels. To be honest you only ever hear from those who have negative experiences on Forums and not from the countless many who never have any issues at all.

I think they did addressed cracking issues as per many who got them exchanged. I do think they went back with their supplier and improved quality.

I don?t think rumors are true just because there are some recent official BMW videos talking about the carbon wheels etc.

But since there are many agains them you can go to forged these are very good indeed, difference to carbon is minimal for normal riders and on top is the preferred choice on race track be championships or those who like to go often.

I have done track days on my carbon wheels no issues no cracks and it handles with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the M Sport carbon wheels have a reduced choice of tyre figments, or is it the same as forged and standard wheels? I remember seeing somewhere a suggestion of just two tyres being approved for use with the carbon wheels (could just be forum folk law).

Do the M Sport carbon wheels have a reduced choice of tyre figments, or is it the same as forged and standard wheels? I remember seeing somewhere a suggestion of just two tyres being approved for use with the carbon wheels (could just be forum folk law).
Same

Been loads of failures in America, superbike school have had to replace all there wheels apparently.

If there's no big difference in weight forged might be the better call.

Just the bling of the carbon wheels are hard to pass by haha.

If that is the case that's a no deal unless it's pirellis

Two people with wheel problems where BMW must have sold thousands of bikes (waites for someone to come up with the exact figure) is a tiny proportion. Admittedly I would not want to be one of the two people - but I thought the defect was shown to be in the clear coat, not in the construction itself?

Two people with wheel problems where BMW must have sold thousands of bikes (waites for someone to come up with the exact figure) is a tiny proportion. Admittedly I would not want to be one of the two people - but I thought the defect was shown to be in the clear coat, not in the construction itself?
Few people on the US forum with problems.

The problem is that many of those who buy M might not even bother looking at wheels and just not noticing cracks.

I would say people who are at forums are more pedantic in this kind of questions.

That was my understanding. Completely unacceptable when it does happen, but not life threatening (so far). So replace under warranty and jog on.

I have heard of one alledged wheel failure. Think it was on track at Donny. But we've no idea what had happened to it before hand. Speculation isn't proof.

The rest are a low number of lacquer issues which is something thats not good enough on a 2k wheel but equally isn't structural.

- Alex

BTW Rob Carson had his CFs replaced with forged under warranty.. he asked me to send you send you hugs and kisses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure he's a really happy, upbeat, positive and fun guy now... not just the miserable sod we witnessed.

- Alex

Sorry if has been linked to before, but according to this list you are right. Only Racetec RR and Power RS approved in 200 width for 2019 onward bikes. K67
https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/service/manuals/tyres_main.html

Cast wheels with 190 have a couple more options it seems.
I have no idea what it takes to get on this list or why there are so few options. To me it looks as if only tyres that are fitted at the BMW factory as standard are included.

Tyres

Just fit whatever tyres you want. I really wouldn?t worry about whether or not they are on BMW?s approved list.

+1, you can fit any tyre you like so long as it is the correct size.
If you want to fit a 190 / 55 rear, your BMW dealer can recalibrate the ECU. I have done this on mine and am currently using Metzeler M9RR?s. Phenomenal tyre and the ideal size in my opinion

Back