BMW M Endurance Chain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just had this wee bit of info come across my desk this morning. BMW Motorrad have produced a drive chain for the 2020 S1000RR and S1000XR that does NOT need lubricating...a maintenance free drive chain!

Something to mull over the bank holiday weekend :wink-new:

[h=1]BMW Motorrad presents the M Endurance chain.[/h][h=2]Lubricating your chain was yesterday. Maintenance-free like the shaft drive for the first time.[/h]For more than 90 years, the maintenance-free, environmentally friendly and comfortable shaft drive has been one of BMW Motorrad's immovable technical cornerstones. With the M Endurance chain, BMW Motorrad now offers a maintenance-free chain with comparable characteristics for the first time.
Like previous X-ring chains, the M Endurance chain has a resident permanent lubricant filling between the rollers and pins, enclosed by X-rings. What is completely new, however, is that the previously necessary additional lubricant addition for the rollers and thus the familiar "chain lubrication" is no longer necessary, nor is any re-tensioning required from time to time due to the usual wear.
This enormous gain in comfort was made possible by using a new coating material for the rollers: tetrahedrally amorphous carbon (ta-C), also known as industrial diamond. This coating is characterized by extreme hardness and resistance and in this respect it is placed between the well-known DLC coating (Diamond Like Carbon) and pure diamond. In contrast to the metal surfaces used so far, the coating with the ta-C industrial diamond does not wear off. At the same time, this type of coating also offers a drastically reduced friction coefficient.
Thanks to excellent dry lubrication properties and the elimination of wear, the tetrahedral amorphous carbon coated rollers of the M Endurance chain offer maintenance comfort equivalent to that of a shaft drive motorcycle. This includes all the cleaning work that is unavoidable with a conventional chain due to splashed lubricant. Accordingly, the M Endurance chain also offers maximum environmental friendliness.
The M Endurance chain in 525 pitch is now available initially for the two 4-cylinder models BMW S 1000 RR and S 1000 XR. The M Endurance chain is available as accessory or directly from the factory as an option. Further BMW Motorrad models are being prepared for this feature.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0314749EN/bmw-motorrad-presents-the-m-endurance-chain

publicq

Im away for the next few days but will be checking availability and prices next week.

Have a good bank holiday.

Kind regards

Nick

Cotswold BMW Motorrad Cheltenham
01242 335355

I assume it will only come in one length? Soft or Hard Link?
(Already noted that its 525 to begin with, which may infer other options later)

Great idea, I'll take one for my 2018 RR. And if it'll fit the Super Duke, I'll have two

Oh, anyone want to buy a second-hand Scottoiler or two? :rolleyes-new:

Mmmmm..... proof is in the pudding. Sceptical.

It?s a Regina chain, so hopefully it?ll be available in all sizes and at a reasonable price

Last edited:
Mmmmm..... proof is in the pudding. Sceptical.

Looks like its a Regina chain.

indeed,in thoery a chain is sealed anyway i thought,unless your on a full on race spec chain.so the actual maintenance is purely cleaning,cosmeticlly and keeping the plates clean?

Let's face it, it's not that difficult to clean and lube a chain, it's a task I don't at all mind doing as I like to give mine a good visual at the same time, wheels, brake components and tyres follow suit.

Cost will play a big part, don't think I'd pay much more than a "normal" chain.. emphasis on parentheses... simply for fear of sloppiness kicking in on my part.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Nah not for me. Part of the lubing is to allow it on the sprockets, reducing friction Imho. Whether it does anything I dont know. But thats my thoughts.

I have been lubing drive chains ever since I can remember and absolutely sceptical of the claims, but it isn't April and BMW Germany are not known for their pranks so I am hopeful that this is the way to an easier life owning chain drive bikes...although the sceptic in me definitely needs to see proof (and price) before I can look someone in the eye and say this works 100%.

Talking of price, I have the price for the K69 S1000XR version of the chain which will be retailing around ?235 inc vat although this may change when the chain becomes available for retail late October / early November but I am still waiting on BMW advising the over the counter price for the K67 S1000RR. I do though have pitch and length info, 525 x 119 links (K67 S1000RR) or 525 x 127 links (K69 S1000XR).

More news will follow regarding the chain performance as we have a customer who has just picked up their S1000XR with the M Enduance chain fitted and will be able to see progress when it comes in for the running in service....watch this space as they would say :surprise:

Kind regards

Nick

01242 335355
[email protected]

Cotswold BMW Motorrad Cheltenham

Nick, I await with baited breath. ;). If it didn?t rust at the slightest sight of moisture would be an advance on previous BMW chains. I?d rather they worked on their bolts. They must have bought a East German Wrought Iron factory in the 80?s and are still going through their stock today. ;) J

OEM Chain

If it didn?t rust at the slightest sight of moisture would be an advance on previous BMW chains.

+1.

The OEM chain will turn orange at the very mention of the words ?rain? or ?water?!

This week I was quoted an eye watering ?483.41 for endurance chain and sprockets (including fitting!)

This week I was quoted an eye watering ?483.41 for endurance chain and sprockets (including fitting!)

Hi Chris,

Strong as that price is it unfortunately does not sound far off the norm. Its just under 1 hour labour a BMW Motorrad retailer will charge as a stand alone job, 45 mins if done while in for a service.

Normal retail price breakdown shown below:

1 x M Endurance drive chain 525-119, ?229.60 inc vat
1 x M Endurance connecting link, ?5.84 inc vat
1 x 17t front sprocket, ?48.90 inc vat
1 x 45t rear sprocket, ?89.51 inc vat
BMW advise the following parts to replace during replacement
1 x front sprocket lock washer, ?4.66 inc vat
5 x rear sprocket nuts, ?25.02 inc vat

45-55 minutes labour, ?77 to ?94 with me at Cotswold Motorrad

If anyone is after the parts only, I can supply all for ?351.02 inc vat and delivery (normal price ?411.52 inc vat and delivery).

Email me at [email protected] or give me a call on 01242 335355 if you want more info on these chains or if there is anything else I can do to help.

Nick

01242 335355

Love how the connecting link is a separate line item...yet it's useless without it!
Thanks for the breakdown.

Can you also do a deal to fit a Gen3? i.e. chain, link & Gen3 sprockets etc? Chain length is the same.

Last edited:
Back