Disconnecting SOS button

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone disconnected theirs yet for track use?
I see in the manual you can disconnect it for track use, mine is pretty much always saying emergency call failure contact dealer. Dealer says it?s loosing signal but my phone has signal when this doesn?t. Looking at it you pretty much sit on it and and it?s facing sideways so I guess it hasn?t got the best location to hunt for a signal anyway and not enough cable to reposition it.
I?m getting annoyed with the big orange warning coming up on the dash all the time and when you have cancelled that there is still a warning light on the left side of the dash it?s just a bit off putting so I?m thinking just disconnect it permanently or will there be problems later?
Obviously there will be a problem if I tried to use the button but when I did try and use it yesterday when I broke down it I got cut off 3 time?s so used my mobile which was a lot easier and less hassle.

Kev
Ive had the same issue with "emergency call failure" warning. Dealer initially tried to say poor signal, but when I showed them it had stayed on as a warning for a 2 hr ride they agreed it needed looking at. They now say it needs a firmware update which they are going to do at it 500 mile service on weds. So will see if that fixes it (and the dodgy bluetooth). If not Im having the emergency button money back as not much use unless I crash into a mobile phone mast.

Does it say you have to disconnect before taking on the track? There doesnt seem to be a penalty for false activation.

Thanks for the reply ...Maybe I should speak with the dealer again then but I was told I have the latest software version in the bike when I was having all the Bluetooth connection issues. The bike seems to spend more time at the dealer than with me lol.

Had exactly the same issue last Friday at Donny, first time as well. So annoying when you are on track and next minute you're distracted by it. It is not like it's a small bit of text either. Apparently it is common across a lot of BMWs (including cars) and is to do with signal loss like you say. But if you are on track there should be an option to disable it or if you're in Pro-Riding mode it should automatically disable. Mine is in a few weeks and i will hopefully have it sorted and more information.

My M, didnt come with a SOS, is it a country spec thing?

i was just given an emergency 0800 phone number to call

It is a factory spec option, though I would imagine it is only available in select countries.

Last edited:
Agree it?s very annoying when you see it come up and even when you cancel it it still leaves a warning light on. I?m still waiting for an answer from my dealer on if I can just leave it disconnected permanently.

In the end i had mine removed. Well i removed it myself when i had the 1 piece Ilmberger tail unit. The dealer disabled the SOS function in the ECU. If you just remove it then it will always flag up an error.

But prior to this and it was always throwing an error, it turned out the GPS unit was actually faulty. It had a new one fitted and it was fine after that. I still have the SOS system if anyone wants it?

1. Thanks a lot
2. the GPS unit of the motorcycle was faulty ? where it is located ? Isn't it suppose to be showned when the dealer connects to your motorcycle ?
3. The dealer connected today to my ECU and when he tried to disable it, he got a screen saying that I need to sign some disconnected form.
(my, alone, in my computer)
Anyone knows where is this form ??

The GPS unit is a standalone item, it is housed in the tail unit next to the alarm.

I guess if there was an error then yes it should be recorded on the ECU when they do a fault check.

And no i never had to sign any forms for having to disconnect it. Sounds like the dealer is talking rubbish or covering himself in case you crash and complain that the dealer removed the SOS function.

I was at the dealer yesterday.He tried to disabled it via the computer and got a screen saying I have to sign for giving up SOS system at BMW Motorrad, but didn't know to tell me where exactly.

Anyone know what their worldwide service email is ?

I was at the dealer yesterday.He tried to disabled it via the computer and got a screen saying I have to sign for giving up SOS system at BMW Motorrad, but didn't know to tell me where exactly.
Anyone know what their worldwide service email is ?

The dealer should give you a form to sign.
By the way we ask all new users to create a hello post in the Welcome section and tell us about themselves.

The dealer should give you a form to sign.
By the way we ask all new users to create a hello post in the Welcome section and tell us about themselves.

Hi Alex

Where is the Welcome section ?

Thanks

OK.
Problem solved.
The battry was removed in order to gain access to the "brain" of the SOS system.
The connector was disconnected from the brain.
Than, the SOS function was disabled via the BMW software that connected to the main connector in the tail.
(I alreay had latest SW versions so the all process was 15 minutes)

Thanks

Latest posts

Back