Intermittent failure to start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul1098

Reaction score
Have a 2012 bike that I've owned since 2013 with no problems until now.
Bike is a track bike with switchgear off a 2011 bike and it's been fine until 2 weeks ago when after 2 sessions of being OK it wouldn't start. Flicked on/off switch and key lots of times and it started then cut out on me at end of pit lane.
After 5mins got it going and rode rest of lap and back to pits. Weather was really hot.
Replaced rh switch with original 2012 switch (been sat in padded bag in spares box since 2013) as assumed that was problem - nothing.
Ran diagnostics on bike when I got home and no errors showing.
Tried firing her up on original switch and worked first time - swopped to new switch and nothing.
Any idea what is wrong with these switches as I can't for the life of me understand how a working switch can be stored for 7 years and just not work or is there another fundamental problem I'm missing?
Can these switches be fixed?

Had bike at track again this week and was fine all first day with old switch. Next day did 3 sessions perfectly fine then just nothing for 4th session.
Never thought of checking bike before I threw it in van but as soon as it was home tried it and it started first time.
Still no error messages showing.

When bike won't start the dash still goes thru' sequence but no fuel pump noise. Side stand is not fitted & switch has been taped up since 2013.

sounds like kill switch issue,either bad plug connection or wire somewhere,that usually the case with bike lighting up but not priming

So the kill switch issue is not one thing but a number of possible issues?
Not easy to determine when it's intermittent but looks like i'll have to trace each wire rather than just looking at switch.
The mode switch didn't work either, is that part of the same fault as it's working again now.

at the same time as not priming? or a different time,when bikes running?

to rule out mode button,turn bike on with kill switch off,see if mode button works,if not then you can take that away from list of issues

Mode switch doesn't work when the bike won't start so seems to be whole of switch or connector.

When the bike starts the mode botton works again.

Back