Bike shutting down

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Radiator Cap

I certainly wouldn?t run a 1.8 Bar radiator cap without replacing the hoses and clips. That said replacing the OEM hoses is not a quick job as removing the left-side lower hose is not as simple as it first appears. The good thing is you do not need to remove the fuel tank.

Re: Radiator Cap

ok,so i'm just trying to get my head around it...

regardless of rad pressure cap,water temp will still be same,although wont boil till higher,if the thermostat is still reading the temp,and puts engine into limp mode/shuts down,because of temp reading,wont this still happen regardless of rad cap?

Mine was reading 112 degrees when the error light came on, it was definitely running hot all of the 4 days at Mugello.

Many other bikes were also running hot, Yamaha, Ducati and others I spoke to.

Mine is running stock fairing with an Ilmberger belly pan, I do have EvoTech radiator and oil cooler guards as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was reading 112 degrees when the error light came on, it was definitely running hot all of the 4 days at Mugello.

Many other bikes were also running hot, Yamaha, Ducati and others I spoke to.

Mine is running stock fairing with an Ilmberger belly pan, I do have EvoTech radiator and oil cooler guards as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
112 while out on track or when you were back to the pits?

would deffo be sticking new hoses+clips on then if running a higher pressure cap.

a quick look at the table (i'm a bit geeky like that..) and 1.8bar raises the boiling point to about 117c, quite a big jump from the 105 a 1.2bar rad cap gives (bigger than i thought tbh.).

maybe something like a waterless coolant might be better for track use only?
What's the point of changing hoses? They are not designed to work at higher pressure/temp?

Hoses

What's the point of changing hoses? They are not designed to work at higher pressure/temp?

When you compare a Samco and OEM hose side by side you will see the difference. The former is much thicker and far better made.

Re: Hoses

I have a Gen1 and since I live in South Europe my bike temperatures in the track was high at around 103-105C while in the track. I changed to better liquid for cooling and did not see big improvement. Then I changed to a race water pump, Samco hoses and 1.8bar cap. There was an improvement especially when I used it in the track but still I and my mechanic wanted more...So I decided to go for the best solution I could think of...

116406729_10219437806109657_1242873314195560829_o-jpg.212477

The water temperatures are now 20-25 degrees lower and also the same stands for the oil temperature. If you are using your bike mostly in the track THIS is the best solution. Also I have to add that in the city traffic I had absolutely no problems (fanless). There is also a cheaper solution that might work. You can buy the additional cooler that goes behind your OEM and remove the fan. It will be better but the big package is huge improvement.

ok,so i'm just trying to get my head around it...

regardless of rad pressure cap,water temp will still be same,although wont boil till higher,if the thermostat is still reading the temp,and puts engine into limp mode/shuts down,because of temp reading,wont this still happen regardless of rad cap?

This was what I was thinking - doesn't a higher value rad cap simply stop the coolant being pushed back into the reservoir until a higher pressure is reached?

As for "waterless coolant", doesn't that actually make an engine run slightly hotter with the only advantage being that it never boils over?

This was what I was thinking - doesn't a higher value rad cap simply stop the coolant being pushed back into the reservoir until a higher pressure is reached?

As for "waterless coolant", doesn't that actually make an engine run slightly hotter with the only advantage being that it never boils over?

dunno tbh,i was under the impression that it made the engine run cooler,maybe i just dreamt that bit up :)

dunno tbh,i was under the impression that it made the engine run cooler,maybe i just dreamt that bit up :)

I don't think there's much love for it from anyone apart from the people selling it / endorsing it.................

Thats what I got told as well, plus this is what Alpha is saying

• [h=2]Additional articles[/h]
  • Due to the higher pressure you can use a smaller coolant reservoir and the heat conduction is improved

weight: 0,046 kg
    [h=2]Delivery[/h]
  • - Radiator cap

Yes

Would someone with Carbonin fairings be kind enough to photograph the 'rad shrouding' so I can see what it's like? (A photo properly inside it to see how it fits against the radiator).

Last edited:
Back