Bike shutting down

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGodfather

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Did Mugello track at the weekend and on the third day in the last session the bike just died. The dash read engine fault , , , malfunction or something like that. It also said onward journey possible in limp mode but the bike closed down and would not start again.
While waiting for the van of shame for sometime i gave it a go and it started. The following day it ran faultlessly.
It was bloody lucky i was upright in a chicane and not leant over as it was so sudden and like the brakes had been applied.
Another member from here who i won't name incase he doesn't want it public had it happen to him as well.
General impression was over heating but not good to happen when your gassing it round a circuit.

Last edited:
Interesting, don't happen to have it on video do you?

Could see the dash and readout of the temp...

Glad you're ok after it

- Alex

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes, same happened to me, 3 times at Mugello, I?m collecting the bike tomorrow ant taking it to Bahnstormer to have the codes checked.

I do suspect heat was the cause as many other brand bikes were overheating as well.

Might try a different radiator cap, or maybe a bigger radiator if the dealer has no solution.

Cheers,

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pressure keeps the temp down (increases boiling point), but it puts stress on the items keeping the pressure in.

Might be worth a set of samco hoses as well...

- Alex

If airflow is not sealed around the radiator its not forced through it. Make sure the bodywork forces the air through the rad. Track fairing are usually not especially tight.

- Alex

and clips...

thik most rad caps run at 1.1bar,i've got a few 1.5bar caps (think i run 1.5 now).1.8bar is quite a big jump from stock though,and if it's overheating to the point of shutting down,cant see that being the best cure tbh,but as ith most years,i assume it was very hot there this time? (ambient temp i mean)

It was pretty hot but there must have been at least 25 gen4's.
I asked brogie as he was going out three sessions in a row and he said its never shut down on him though he does get warnings on the dash regularly.

Last edited:
and clips...

thik most rad caps run at 1.1bar,i've got a few 1.5bar caps (think i run 1.5 now).1.8bar is quite a big jump from stock though,and if it's overheating to the point of shutting down,cant see that being the best cure tbh,but as ith most years,i assume it was very hot there this time? (ambient temp i mean)
100%
I'd expect the 1.8bar rad cap was mainly sold to help fanless bikes on the startline.

I feel its a crutch waiting for a real fix.

- Alex

Radiator Cap

The OEM radiator cap on the Gen 4 is rated 1.2 Bar. I?ve just fitted a set of Samco hoses, together with a 1.8 Bar radiator cap, which alpha Racing recommended to help with cooling.

If airflow is not sealed around the radiator its not forced through it. Make sure the bodywork forces the air through the rad. Track fairing are usually not especially tight.

- Alex

My track fairings are basically aftermarket road going. All fixings are using the standard ones. Will take note of other makes next time out.

Ive spent 7 days in total at mugello, 3 of them with Rehm at 38C (FE days were much cooler). No issues at all with overheating.

I doubt it that.

Saying that I'm fitting 1.8 bar cap this weekend.

Ye it was hot, I'm saying Rehm days were even hotter.

Engine temp on track was about 94-96C with Rehm.

would deffo be sticking new hoses+clips on then if running a higher pressure cap.

a quick look at the table (i'm a bit geeky like that..) and 1.8bar raises the boiling point to about 117c, quite a big jump from the 105 a 1.2bar rad cap gives (bigger than i thought tbh.).

maybe something like a waterless coolant might be better for track use only?

Back