Tyre wear front to rear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why my front tyres are wearing out quicker than my rears. Is this bike set up, riding style etc. My current Michelin Power RS front and rear were changed at the same time. I have 2mm left on the front and 4mm left on the rear. I do 2k Miles approx on road and about 6 IAM skills days in the intermediate group a year. I?m not a competent rider but enjoy the skills days. But surely the rear should never out last the front.

I have had this problem before, my tyre seemed to wear on the sides of the front much quicker than the rear if your pushing on in the corners but not heavy on the throttle then this may account for some of this wear.

is it the centre or the sides that are wearing fast?

since i have become more heavy on the throttle and using the TC more the rears are wearing more.

it could just be riding style?

My Gen 4 has worn the front shoulder noticeably quicker than the rear.
My Gen 3 wore equally front to back.
Riding style is the same on both.

I think this is due to the different geometry between the two bikes.
Though hopefully setup can help balance the wear rate.

Here are the photos. Thanks

Attachments

• CE8128BF-B9CF-40D0-A89C-C0A7DD8640F8.jpeg
    CE8128BF-B9CF-40D0-A89C-C0A7DD8640F8.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 57
  • A8458FCE-E75F-4EEE-B9FC-090877E48B32.jpeg
    A8458FCE-E75F-4EEE-B9FC-090877E48B32.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 8DE9BFD6-0B1B-47D1-9AE4-4DF3DC78CBB3.jpeg
    8DE9BFD6-0B1B-47D1-9AE4-4DF3DC78CBB3.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 9C8BDD1F-A496-4F5D-95F9-F90690ED9E8C.jpeg
    9C8BDD1F-A496-4F5D-95F9-F90690ED9E8C.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 55
Me too.

Maybe your just abit more easy on the throttle than you are in corners.

Do you trail brake alot?

My fronts would be 80% work when my rear is 100% so I change sets

Hi unfortunately I don?t have the skills or knowledge to trail brake. Can bike set up influence tyre wear so the front goes well before the rear?
I?ve booked a suspension set up at HM Racing in a couple of weeks so hopefully they can help as well. If I?m doing something wrong with my riding, apart from not being able to lean the bike over past 35% then I could work on it.

Can anyone explain why my front tyres are wearing out quicker than my rears. Is this bike set up, riding style etc. My current Michelin Power RS front and rear were changed at the same time. I have 2mm left on the front and 4mm left on the rear. I do 2k Miles approx on road and about 6 IAM skills days in the intermediate group a year. I?m not a competent rider but enjoy the skills days. But surely the rear should never out last the front.

Don't rears start out with a deeper tread pattern?

ok,depnding on your actual style,speed etc,then it's quite easy to wear the front more than rear.
if your very soft on corner exit,then the rear tyre will have a very easy life, no spinning or slipping,the front will be taking more stress on corner entry regardless of speed,riding style etc.

front tyre will always take more stress than rear,you'd be suprised how much pressure is applied to front tyre during braking+turning.

if your a very steady rider,then front will eventually wear out before rear,that being said,i find it hard to distinguish the difference between wear on those pics you have posted,all it shows is that your very steady (no offence intended) on entry+exit,as far track goes at least.

Back