Brake issues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianbullsey

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone recommend a master cylinder which will definitely improve braking? I had a scary experience at Donnington this week. Pads looked to be worn, however on closer inspection were still within wear limits. (SBS Dual Carbon as recommended to stop 'brake fade')
PS I did two sessions then packed up and went home. NB I've checked for leaks..
Ian

Have you changed your brake fluid recently? (I find the the OE brake set-up - including pads - pretty good on track)

Hi, brake fluid hasn't been changed. Bikes done under 1500 miles.
The brakes simply weren't there. The span adjuster keeps returning to 1? I have it set at 3
I'm just glad there is run off at the end of the Dunlop Straight (seriously)
Ian

Rcs19 will sort it.

I'd throw some brembo or ebc fluid in too.

Bear in mind I start to get noticeable face when pads are 2/3rds worn. It's like there's not enough meat too stop them overheating.

Rcs19 will sort it.

I'd throw some brembo or ebc fluid in too.

Bear in mind I start to get noticeable face when pads are 2/3rds worn. It's like there's not enough meat too stop them overheating.
Thanks for that. I'm feeling a bit better now. The pads were around 1mm inside the wear bars. Are there any options to the SBS Dual Carbon Pads?
Ian

The Gen 4 uses exactly the same OE MS as the Gen 3 as far as i am aware. And I have to say the brakes on the Gen 4 are leagues ahead of the Gen 3. On my Gen 3 brake fade was something fairly common on track in OE spec but a lot better once the pads and brake fluid was upgraded. My Gen 4 though, not an issue so far. I swapped the pads for Brembo SC and the fluid is changed to Motul RBF 660.

Personally before changing the MS I would change the pads and a brake fluid to something that has a higher boiling point than stock. Brake fluid should be changed fairly regularly in my opinion if you are using the bike a lot on track. It is hygroscopic so absorbs water, water has boiling point of 100?c, (your brakes will be getting hotter than that) as such that water will turn from a liquid to gas and then give you a nice squidgy feeling. (both in the lever and in the bottom when the bike doesn't stop)

You said there is only around 1mm of material left on the pads that isn't really enough material left to dissipate the heat properly. On the road this is fine as you probably do not get the pads working that hard but on track it is a different matter.

The Gen 4 uses exactly the same OE MS as the Gen 3 as far as i am aware. And I have to say the brakes on the Gen 4 are leagues ahead of the Gen 3. On my Gen 3 brake fade was something fairly common on track in OE spec but a lot better once the pads and brake fluid was upgraded. My Gen 4 though, not an issue so far. I swapped the pads for Brembo SC and the fluid is changed to Motul RBF 660.

Personally before changing the MS I would change the pads and a brake fluid to something that has a higher boiling point than stock. Brake fluid should be changed fairly regularly in my opinion if you are using the bike a lot on track. It is hygroscopic so absorbs water, water has boiling point of 100?c, (your brakes will be getting hotter than that) as such that water will turn from a liquid to gas and then give you a nice squidgy feeling. (both in the lever and in the bottom when the bike doesn't stop)

You said there is only around 1mm of material left on the pads that isn't really enough material left to dissipate the heat properly. On the road this is fine as you probably do not get the pads working that hard but on track it is a different matter.
Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply. Very helpful and very much appreciated.
I'll take your advice. Pads and fluid first.
Ian

No worries dude and if you can save some money and time on the simpler stuff first it makes sense.

Soo I should hold off on the brembo SC pad recommendation :upset:

He said pads and fluid would be a good start. Have to say my recent experience on SC's I didn't enjoy. PFC95's would be my bet or just go straight to ZO4's.

Back