Bike at Bahnstormer

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
So, after noticing a rattle on the bike after coming back from work, took a video of it, emailed it to Bahnstormer and phoned them to investigate. I thought it may have been the water pump however it turns out it?s excessive play in the oil pump drive chain.. a quote for 500-550. I am out of warranty.

Anyone known this as an issue?

Stump up the cash or can you suggest any options?

143988cb9e25f8d06160adf6457fbe1d.jpg

I have a video of the rattle but cannot upload it... it strange at the rattle seems to start when the kill switch is pressed... (or maybe the online noise when in suppresses the rattle)

I did not switch on again incase I did more damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why would the oil pump chain rattle after you turn it off? Surely once the engine is turned off it just stops

Last edited:
Def worth getting sorted. If your intending at keeping the bike for longer look at talking to ur dealer about a warranty on the bike. I know Oli has personally had good experiences with the warranty and def got his moneys worth.

Does it do the same when you turn it off by the ignition switch? I can?t see it being engine moving parts as the engine is no longer spinning when it?s off. Could it be a solenoid?

that is one of the strangest bike rattles ive herd, cant see it being a chain otherwise lots more people would have had the same noise or at least something still turning after the engines turned off. there shouldn't be anything turning at shut off. has the pump impeller come loose of similar. could it be the throttle bodies chattering or like said a relay or something. i recon its not a chain.

Last edited:
I don't get it either. Oil drive stops when the engine stops. Are they saying the oil flowing back to the sump causes it?

- Alex

Have you tried the old trick of putting a large screw driver against various bits of the engine and your ear to narrow down where it?s coming from.

From the vid it sounds more like it?s loudest near the water pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds more like something stuck in the cooling fans which were flying round before you turn off from here. Easy to check that one though?

In your video you seem drawn to the water pump cover as the source of the noise. I suspect that the water pump impeller has lost some of its vanes and its them you hear. Even though the water pump stops with the engine, coolant will continue to circulate for a few seconds. Is the bike running hotter than normal?

I must admit I?m very sceptical of that synopsis, the coolant stays hot for more than 10 seconds so why does the noise stop so soon?

so if they change that over and it works, happy days, if it don't work you don't pay do you? soon rack up a large bill fault finding by substitution otherwise.
Mut

Back